Using EcoTech battery backup /w Apex power bar? Better solution for feed mode?

jasper9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm building a brand new tank for the first time. I'm hoping to eventually do a lot of Apex automation, but I didn't realize how unfriendly Ecotech is being with Neptune prior to buying a new (mobius firmware) Vectra return pump. I bought two Vectra's and was about to buy a MP40 before realizing this.

I was hoping to have a physical push button for feed mode that would turn down power for Vectra and Vortech's instead of opening up the app each and every time.

One solution I can think of is using Ecotech's battery backup unit on an Apex power bar? Have the apex kill the power to the outlet and ecotech stuff would sense the power loss and switch to the mobius controlled lower settings I would think? Over time will the cycling on the battery kill it faster than it would otherwise? Bad idea? I see some mentions on threads about Apex not recommending the pumps be connected directly to their power bars, but is the battery ok?

I see that some people have figured out how to downgrade firmware and still use a Apex WXM. I don't see clear information on if that still works with brand new Vectra and Vortech's?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Apex WXM module will not work with Vectra return pumps, it never has. Looks like your only option for a fed mode for newer Ecotech products with the new chip is through the Mobius app if you want those devices to be totally off.

Now you can use the Apex to cut power to your Vortechs and Vectras via programming for an Apex feed mode. When the outlet power gets cut off to those pumps, the battery backup will only run those pumps at 10%, through programmimg. If you can live with a feed mode that slows down your pumps down significantly but not totally off, then that will work. The physical feed mode button can be activated through the Apex display unit.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back