Using fresh garlic to combat ich?

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chloroquine Phosphate (CP) is a replacement for copper sulfate and it is superior to copper sulfate in its effectiveness and safety. Chloroquine is used as a bacteriacide, an algaecide and as an antimalarial drug. It is superior in the fight against ICH and flukes and can be used as both a treatment and a preventative. It is much safer and easier to dose without causing harm to fish as the effective concentration range is rather wide and forgiving.

The effects of copper on aquatic organisms can be directly or indirectly lethal. Gills become frayed and lose their ability to regulate the transport of salts such as sodium chloride and potassium chloride into and out of fish. These salts are important for the normal functioning of the cardiovascular and nervous systems. When the salt balance is disrupted between the body of a copper-exposed fish and the surrounding water the death of the fish can result. The presence of dissolved organic carbon (DOC) in the water column provides some protection from the effects of copper on the gills because copper forms complexes with DOC and will therefore be less bioavailable. Copper toxicity to fish gills will be higher if the pH of the water is acidic, the water has low buffering capacity or the water is soft, i.e., has a low concentration of calcium ions. The lower toxicity of copper in hard water compared to soft water is due to the protective effects of calcium ions on and in living cells. Copper also adversely affects olfaction (sense of smell) in fish. Detection of odours occurs when dissolved odorant molecules bind with olfactory receptor molecules. The direct contact of fish olfactory tissues with the surrounding water facilitates copper uptake. Copper can affect olfaction by competing with natural odorants for binding sites, by affecting activation of the olfactory receptor neurons or by affecting intracellular signalling in the neurons (Baldwin et al., 2003).

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chloroquine Phosphate (CP) is a replacement for copper sulfate and it is superior to copper sulfate in its effectiveness and safety. Chloroquine is used as a bacteriacide, an algaecide and as an antimalarial drug. It is superior in the fight against ICH and flukes and can be used as both a treatment and a preventative. It is much safer and easier to dose without causing harm to fish as the effective concentration range is rather wide and forgiving.

The effects of copper on aquatic organisms can be directly or indirectly lethal. Gills become frayed and lose their ability to regulate the transport of salts such as sodium chloride and potassium chloride into and out of fish. These salts are important for the normal functioning of the cardiovascular and nervous systems. When the salt balance is disrupted between the body of a copper-exposed fish and the surrounding water the death of the fish can result. The presence of dissolved organic carbon (DOC) in the water column provides some protection from the effects of copper on the gills because copper forms complexes with DOC and will therefore be less bioavailable. Copper toxicity to fish gills will be higher if the pH of the water is acidic, the water has low buffering capacity or the water is soft, i.e., has a low concentration of calcium ions. The lower toxicity of copper in hard water compared to soft water is due to the protective effects of calcium ions on and in living cells. Copper also adversely affects olfaction (sense of smell) in fish. Detection of odours occurs when dissolved odorant molecules bind with olfactory receptor molecules. The direct contact of fish olfactory tissues with the surrounding water facilitates copper uptake. Copper can affect olfaction by competing with natural odorants for binding sites, by affecting activation of the olfactory receptor neurons or by affecting intracellular signalling in the neurons (Baldwin et al., 2003).

Thank you for the great info [emoji1531] you should add it to the fish treatment thread if it’s not already there.

MerlotAndFamily

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is correct, the 72 day theront release was in only one study. That is being conservative and the recommendation of our resident Ich expert. Is it over kill? Maybe, but if you are going to go to all that trouble what's a few more weeks.

I'm absolutely all for killing the ich off for good and doing all this stuff right. In fact, I'm never going to not quarantine again. Here's my only concern for quarantining for such a long time: my Twin Spot. In my DT, he was fat and happy on all the copepods and everything else in the tank. I mean he was FAT! Since he's been in quarantine his weight has tanked (no pun intended). I've been feeding the clowns and barnacle blenny pellet foods and brine shrimp and I got some cyclo things, and Toby (the twin spot) always looks like he's eating those, but he just is not keeping the weight on. I'm anxious to get him back in the DT and to see him gaining weight again. Any suggestions for keeping the poor fella healthy in the mean time?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That video was painful to watch
Ugh - I kept fast forwarding because I could read much faster than they could write...and the info wasn't the best.

Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back