Using hydrogen peroxide to kill GHA

kiwis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering giving this option a go. Before I say too much. Yes prevention is the best cure and yes this has risks. Please see the bottom for more info here.

That aside, I've used Hydrogen peroxide once before for a couple of weeks slightly different issue a few years ago. I've still got the 100ml 6% bottle.

My question is, how much should I dose daily for say a week?

Looking at this article, it's madness and suggests 60ml (120/50*25)

This video, suggests 3ml per 10gallons. My 120L system is about 30gallons so 9ml every other days - perhaps 4-5ml each day?

Thoughts and advice thanks.

I believe the GHA has come from high phosphate and too much light . When I test phosphate levels it's near zero but likely because the GHA is using it all.
- I'm now running about 100g of AF Phosphate Minus in a reactor will change 3-4 weekly.
- Reduce light output by 2 hours and temporarily cut white down and no red/green spectrum.
- I have mainly soft coral and some LPS with clowns.

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried it in a qt tank just to see what would happen. More frequent dosing seemed better than larger doses. But it's not like i did an exhaustive study.

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering giving this option a go. Before I say too much. Yes prevention is the best cure and yes this has risks. Please see the bottom for more info here.

That aside, I've used Hydrogen peroxide once before for a couple of weeks slightly different issue a few years ago. I've still got the 100ml 6% bottle.

My question is, how much should I dose daily for say a week?

Looking at this article, it's madness and suggests 60ml (120/50*25)

This video, suggests 3ml per 10gallons. My 120L system is about 30gallons so 9ml every other days - perhaps 4-5ml each day?

Thoughts and advice thanks.

I believe the GHA has come from high phosphate and too much light . When I test phosphate levels it's near zero but likely because the GHA is using it all.
- I'm now running about 100g of AF Phosphate Minus in a reactor will change 3-4 weekly.
- Reduce light output by 2 hours and temporarily cut white down and no red/green spectrum.
- I have mainly soft coral and some LPS with clowns.

I've tried this method before; it didn't really work for me. Green hair algae comes back every time. If you're looking for a long term solution, then I would hose down all your rocks (if possible) and buy one of the algae clean up crew packages from ReefCleaner's.com.
The package comes with a variety of snails and crabs to clean algae. Reefcleaner runs a fishless system, so no ich or velvet is present, but for safety measures, I brush each hermit crab and snail before dropping them into my DT. These cleanup crews should be able to tackle green hair algae and get rid of them.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Peroxide or flux works well. You want to do twice a day with peroxide and get to the base/roots of hair algae

OP
OP
K

kiwis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried this method before; it didn't really work for me. Green hair algae comes back every time. If you're looking for a long term solution, then I would hose down all your rocks (if possible) and buy one of the algae clean up crew packages from ReefCleaner's.com.
The package comes with a variety of snails and crabs to clean algae. Reefcleaner runs a fishless system, so no ich or velvet is present, but for safety measures, I brush each hermit crab and snail before dropping them into my DT. These cleanup crews should be able to tackle green hair algae and get rid of them.

Probably didn't work as you may not have addressed the cause of it.

I'm hoping I've addressed that but want it gone quicker than allowing it to die off.

Peroxide or flux works well. You want to do twice a day with peroxide and get to the base/roots of hair algae

How much per gallon did you dose. That's really my question

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably didn't work as you may not have addressed the cause of it.

I'm hoping I've addressed that but want it gone quicker than allowing it to die off.

How much per gallon did you dose. That's really my question
I dosed about 1ml per 10 gallons (12% grade) every day, it never worked for me. Nitrates were low and phosphates were almost nonexistent. Ever since I added my clean up crew, algae never came back. It is quite possible that once I added the cleanup crew, algae was already beginning to die since I managed to finally control my nutrients and the cleanup crew and my tangs was just picking up the remnants of it.

if you think phosphate is the issue, are you overfeeding the fish is your bioload too high? Do you run a protein skimmer?

MrKlumZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I’m currently fighting GHA myself. I had an explosion of GHA all of a sudden and everything (rocks/sand) was completely filled with GHA.

However, I’ve been dosing Vibrant (Double Dosage every 3 days) for about a month and it seems to cut back my GHA by 70%. I also dose Red Sea Algae Management at half strength every 3 days. Red/Green lights been off for 2-3 weeks now and Lights been running on acclimation mode 50%. I’m planning on reducing the light cycle to cut back the GHA even further. Here is how it looks now. The tank is due for a big WC as I havnt did any WC since I started dosing Vibrant.

4671993D-E540-4B3C-983F-582B6B5BECD3.jpeg

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently fighting GHA myself. I had an explosion of GHA all of a sudden and everything (rocks/sand) was completely filled with GHA.

However, I’ve been dosing Vibrant (Double Dosage every 3 days) for about a month and it seems to cut back my GHA by 70%. I also dose Red Sea Algae Management at half strength every 3 days. Red/Green lights been off for 2-3 weeks now and Lights been running on acclimation mode 50%. I’m planning on reducing the light cycle to cut back the GHA even further. Here is how it looks now. The tank is due for a big WC as I havnt did any WC since I started dosing Vibrant.

4671993D-E540-4B3C-983F-582B6B5BECD3.jpeg

that's what my tank looks like now, I need to get a bunch of snails

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We were having problems with hair algae in the tank and tried just about everything. I don't like using any chemical products in my tank but we thought about giving this a try. We used Flux-Rx by blue Life. When dosing follow the directions. It says something about turn off the skimmer and discontinues using activated carbon and phosphate remover for 72 hours; they may be resumed after 72 hours but all other chemical filtration should be removed during the course of treatment. Filter socks are recommended to aid in cleaning the aquarium. Do not use it if you have macroalgae or a refugium. Allow 10 to 14 days for results. NOTE: we used a 10-micron filter sock and changed it every other day and still do. Also, after the 14-day, do the recommend water changed...if not, the skimmer might go crazy.

The hairline algae were removed, now we have very short algae on the rocks. Nope, this helps.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back