Using Hypertufa to make Aquascape Rock

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep searching for material to use to make a beautiful aquascape design. Something along the lines of a Bonsai shape looking like montipora coral. I came across this. They used it to make the items on the fence picture below. Would these materials be okay in a reef tank?
1590362922489.png

1590362672683.png
1590362870717.png

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think add aragonite sand it might work minus the peat. Idk about perlite. But I'm pretty sure that's how man made rock is made cement and aragonite sand. There was a thread on here about it

OP
OP
Sebastiancrab

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think add aragonite sand it might work minus the peat. Idk about perlite. But I'm pretty sure that's how man made rock is made cement and aragonite sand. There was a thread on here about it
Certainly I could use aragonite sand but these other products make a lighter material when done. I am hoping Randy will see this thread. I am not able to email him directly.

FEED ME ZOAS

Eater of Zoas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd maybe steer clear of the peat, but I don't have anything beyond basic personal knowledge informing that from working with peat in other hobbies. Be very careful with perlite as well. A number of brands have additives for fertilizing plants, and I can't imagine they'd be good for a reef system. At the very least could lead to some algae issues maybe. Be sure to use a properly rated respirator when working with perlite as well. Can lead to really nasty damage when the dust is inhaled. Keep it dry too or it becomes quite heavy and difficult to move.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perlite and vermiculite are both of vulcanic origin. I would not use one of them without having an ICP test on heavy metals first.
Portland cement is often chromate reduced. The chromate content is bound in the cement with iron.
That makes me nervous because there is a risk some bacteria maybe could take up iron from the cement and that way release chromate ions.
White cement is has a lower chromate content so that will be safer to use. Check the MSDS.
Peat is just fossile moss and plants. It will decay in salt water and color it yellow. And it will leave pores in the stones when its gone.
I just use white cement and coral sand when I make coral mounting disks.
Marco rocks and others are so cheap so I dont bother to make my own dead rock.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Portland cement with or without aragonite is OK as long as it is super well cured before putting in a tnak. It tends to raise pH and alkalinity.

Not sure on the peat. It will degrade slowly. Is that a concern? Probably not.

Vermiculite is magnesium aluminum silicate. Will it release enough of those to be an issue? Probably not, as it is pretty insoluble but I would not assume it has no effect.

OP
OP
Sebastiancrab

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Portland cement with or without aragonite is OK as long as it is super well cured before putting in a tnak. It tends to raise pH and alkalinity.

Not sure on the peat. It will degrade slowly. Is that a concern? Probably not.

Vermiculite is magnesium aluminum silicate. Will it release enough of those to be an issue? Probably not, as it is pretty insoluble but I would not assume it has no effect.
Thank you so much for your opinion on these materials. What a different reply to the one above! I tried to email you directly with no luck. Any other thoughts of material I can use to make lightweight shelfs similar to montipora coral? I am dreaming of something really pretty that looks natural but isn't the blocks of rock. I think the thing to do is let is cure much longer if I use these materials.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy,
Thank you so much for your opinion on these materials. What a different reply to the one above! I tried to email you directly with no luck. Any other thoughts of material I can use to make lightweight shelfs similar to montipora coral? I am dreaming of something really pretty that looks natural but isn't the blocks of rock. I think the thing to do is let is cure much longer if I use these materials.

I don't do emails because there are too many to respond to, and posts allow others to see discussions and benefit from them.

Some folks have imbedded pasta in cement. Then wash it out (or let is slowly degrade out) to get pores. Simple packing peanuts that are not water soluble types might be used to lighten it.

There are many threads on artificial rock. Folks have been using it for decades. I made some myself, but never used it because it turned out not attractive enough.

OP
OP
Sebastiancrab

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't do emails because there are too many to respond to, and posts allow others to see discussions and benefit from them.

Some folks have imbedded pasta in cement. Then wash it out (or let is slowly degrade out) to get pores. Simple packing peanuts that are not water soluble types might be used to lighten it.

There are many threads on artificial rock. Folks have been using it for decades. I made some myself, but never used it because it turned out not attractive enough.
I understand. I just know you are the most expert chemist so I really wanted your opinion. I even looked at your profile on LinkedIn. If you don't happen to read all the postings, there is no way for me to get your attention....:(

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back