Using Light When Hatching Brine Shrimp

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just decided to start hatching brine shrimp & wondered what influence light might have on hatching success. After finding one experiment that concluded the following -

• Hatching viability higher in dark environment (90% viability), next highest in 24-hour light (55%) and least in natural light (30%)

Surprising result as I had read that a permanent light was a necessity. So I looked further & found this very informative paper -

Effect of Light Colour, Timing, and Duration of Light Exposure on the Hatchability of Artemia Spp. (Branchiopoda: Anostraca) Eggs

https://academic.oup.com/jcb/article/36/4/515/2735716

Our aim was to determine the minimum duration of light exposure needed to achieve maximal hatching, and to assess if there is different sensitivity to light at different phases of the incubation process for hatching.....

We found that in general white or blue light resulted in higher hatching output than red light, and in general a light exposure of 6h (or even less, depending on the strain and the light colour) from the start of incubation onwards resulted in maximal hatching. Extension of light exposure over a continuous 24 or 48h period resulted in only limited increase in hatching.

In another experiment we investigated at which stage of the incubation for hatching a relatively short exposure of 1h has maximal effect. The observation period was prolonged to 72 h.

We found that 1h of white light was most effective when supplied during the 4th hour of incubation and suboptimal when supplied earlier (1st hour) or later (8th hour, and especially the 13th hour).

OP
OP
Scrubber_steve

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just used the 1 hour of light only method, in the 4th hour after adding the eggs to my hatchery.
All hatched within 24 hours, very successful.
I used plain NSW. Placed the hatchery in my aquarium cabinet & wrapped a small towel around it to maintain warmth.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 36 37.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 12.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back