Using Live Rock in DT after copper dosing

Trigger1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I copper-safe dosed a 75 gallon and 60 g breeder with live sand and live rock for over 30 days at 2.25-2.5 utilizing a Hannah copper monitor after 2 angelfish and 2 butterfly fish died from velvet (Rapid breathing, lost appetite, and innumerable amounts of golden dust). Live rock is stacked to top of both tanks (Lots of rock—paid >$1,200 for all this rock).

I’m consolidating 4 tanks into a 300 gallon 8’ tank, not including sump. Can I use the live rock that was copper-dosed in new tank. I don’t plan on having coral, anemones or inverts in 300 g FOWLR. Is there still a risk of transferring velvet into new tank by using that rock? I’ll use new sand. Is there any reason I shouldn’t use old live rock that’s been in tanks for 2 years? I do have a zebra eel going into new tank and possibly a lion fish. I don’t want copper-sensitive fish to get hurt.

I’m still keeping a separate tank for coral.

LouisianaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully someone with more knowledge on the subject with chime in, but IMO I have always keep everything that was used during copper treatment away from any type of display. Know the fact that you are wanting to go FOWLR might change the situation a bit. I not completely sure as to the life cycle of velvet so that part I am not really sure of. Maybe post a thread in the fish disease forum?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given that the tank was copper dosed, I wouldn’t be worried about disease transfer, but personally would not want rock that was exposed to copper in the same tank as a lion or eel. It would be safer just to get new rock.

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you never plan on keeping corals or sharks then the rock will be fine. New sand is a good idea for sure! IMO i think the eel will be fine I’ve dosed my FOWLR twice with copper power at 2.25-2.50 for 30 days and my zebra moray was just fine.

Joj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used my live rocks and live sand that’s been dosed numerous time with cupramine and then run thru carbon and poly filter pads to remove copper with my fowlr tanks and nano tanks with anemones / shrimps / cuc without issues. They’ve been doing fine for over 2 years. I checked with Hanna copper checker and it’s around .03 - .01 cu measured. New poly filter pads doesn’t turn blue anymore for detecting copper.

you should be fine with fowlr

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you need to model the rock in question, don't just guess.

separate sections into heated, circulated clean paint bucket test reefs. put stuff in them, make insta nanos out of them.

do snails die, fish> anything like a boxer shrimp can't make it? do pre testing don't take guesses on potentially upcoming ten thousand dollar setups. only accept the results of your bucket testing over the next three mos, keep them going a while, that is how to know

Back