mfinn
likes zoanthids
View Badges
Ultimate Member
Partner Member 2026
Partner Member 2027
Reef Tank 365
Photo of the Month
R2R App User
Pacific Northwest Reefers
My Aquarium Showcase
- Joined
- Jul 22, 2006
- Messages
- 14,302
- Reaction score
- 11,260
- Location
- Olympia, WA.
- What state or country do you live in
- Washington
I guess you could right too, but why do muriatic acid when most of the damage done by the acid would be to the rock. The part of the rock where the polyps are attached would be more protected from the acid than the surrounding rock and be eaten away at a much faster rate.Fair enough but wouldn't my theory still be valid. If it dissolves the rock holding the paly then you're still getting the same result - no paly on the rock. Thoughts?
Use bleach and there is no loss of rock.
I actually tried to remove button polyps from a large rock using muriatic acid and it was a disaster.
I lost almost all of the rock and in the end, there was still a gelatinous mass still stuck to what was left of the rock.
All I can say is what has happened to me and what I've seen first hand cleaning up rock over the years.