using the Salifert calcium test at half sample

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ballyhoo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Ballyhoo

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 16, 2024
Messages
840
Reaction score
228
Location
san diego
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone doing this? I'd like to test CA daily for right now because I've got some expensive coral and I believe it's a good indication of what my other elements will be considering I dose AFR.
however, I haven't had much luck using the half sample method. I fill half the little red teaspoon, which is difficult enough because it's an eyeball calculation. But then I wasn't sure as far as the CA – 2 reagent , for a full sample size you use 1 mL which would have the piston at the lower and at .8.5 and that equals a whole milliliter of fluid. So I figured subtract by five and the lower end of the piston should be at .35. anyways, so I emptied it to about .2 and started to test drop by drop. I never got a color change and I exhausted all of the Ca_2 reagent so I'm not sure what I did wrong. I could imagine the I was off a few grains in that red teaspoon because it's Ian eyeball calculation. but it seemed roughly half to me.
thanks
 
Anyone doing this? I'd like to test CA daily for right now because I've got some expensive coral and I believe it's a good indication of what my other elements will be considering I dose AFR.
however, I haven't had much luck using the half sample method. I fill half the little red teaspoon, which is difficult enough because it's an eyeball calculation. But then I wasn't sure as far as the CA – 2 reagent , for a full sample size you use 1 mL which would have the piston at the lower and at .8.5 and that equals a whole milliliter of fluid. So I figured subtract by five and the lower end of the piston should be at .35. anyways, so I emptied it to about .2 and started to test drop by drop. I never got a color change and I exhausted all of the Ca_2 reagent so I'm not sure what I did wrong. I could imagine the I was off a few grains in that red teaspoon because it's Ian eyeball calculation. but it seemed roughly half to me.
thanks
The salifert half scoop sucks. But, ca isn't that important. 380- 480 is fine.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 22.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new