Using Zerowater filters for making saltwater?

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I am thinking about using zerowater filters for my saltwater tanks instead of buying distilled water. My idea is to first put the water through an old zerowater filter (one that reads 006 ppm tds or higher) and then put that water through a new filter. My thoughts is that this would drastically extend the lifetime of my zerowater filters (for comparison, my town's average TDS is about 330 ppm). Also, I was thinking of putting collected rainwater through the zerowater filters to further extend their lifespan. How does all of this sound? Thanks :)

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s going to cost you a fortune in the long run and probably won’t be producing acceptable quality even with new filters.. you can get distilled at Walmart for 84 cents in one gallon jugs. Long term a RO/DI system will pay for itself quickly.

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok...not the answer I was hoping for, but I will try an RODI unit.

How big is your tank? If you don’t have the funds for a RO system upfront, I ran a couple nano’s for years just using gallon jugs of distilled and maybe spent $10 a month on water but it’s a pain to buy and carry home all the time.

OP
OP
LordJoshaeus

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 10 gallon and a 5 gallon saltwater. Also, while not a saltwater, my 5 gallon licorice gourami tank will also need RODI or distilled water to start.

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 10 gallon and a 5 gallon saltwater. Also, while not a saltwater, my 5 gallon licorice gourami tank will also need RODI or distilled water to start.

I had similar size tanks so your looking at about 8-10 gallons a month for evaporation top off and maintenance.. $8-10 using Walmart distilled.

dylana407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the jug for that size tank. My wife cooks with RODI water so it is worth the investment

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 160 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back