USPS OVERNIGHT a+++++

R

reef-nut

View Badges
Thats only in certain areas. They have no guarantees no matter where you send it. I have had a express with usps take 7 days. Also they claim they can track it, I have tried to track several usps express packages and they have no clue where its at.

OP
OP
oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it tracked just fine for me, also they did guarantee it for me thou, they said if its not there by 12 you get the amount of money that you insured it for

Eklikewhoa

Fish Thumper!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
USPS is the only people that know what pkg delivery means in my area....

Fedex.....three times had $2k pkgs end up left on someone elses door steps...this is with signature delivery ONLY! 2 of those times pkg was never recovered.

UPS....I don't even think they try.

DHL......used it once and the box looked like it was a pinata after a party....asked the driver what the heck was up with that and he gave me a dumb look. I refused that pkg.

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ship about 100 pieces of coral per week through USPS Overnight. So on average I sent 10-15 boxes of coral through USPS Overnight per week. What they meant by covering the package is if the package is guaranteed to be delivered by noon and it gets delivered at one then they will refund your shipping cost. As for insurance on live coral and live fish they will not cover it. It does not matter if the box gets crushed, its not covered. The local PostMaster showed me the stipulations for live fish and it basically states in no way or no how will insurance cover a dead loss.
I have shipped thousands of boxes of coral over the last couple of years through USPS and I have found there service to be great. The buyers really like it because it saves them a ton of money on shipping.
What most people do not know is that USPS does not have overnight air service planes. So, your USPS package either gets shipped with UPS packages or FedEx packages on there planes. This is what I have been told by two seperate PostMasters.....

I have also used UPS and FedEx, I always leave the option open to the buyer. Out of USPS, UPS and FedEx they have all lost a package or two that I have sent. But, I use breathable shipping bags so even if the coral are in the box for a couple of days they still arrive healthy.

OP
OP
oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmm ill bring that up to my postmaster bc she told me it was covered. I told her it was coral and she said the insurance covers it NP, but if u have been told other wise im going to do some more research on this bc i would hate to be SOL. BUT they so far have not done me any wrong and it looks like u have had good experiences with them. Thanks for sharing that with me every bit of knoweldge helps out in this hobby

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had many of the USPS employees tell me that it was covered as well. But, when the post office picks up the package for insurance reasons they will deny the claim and state the reference number to why ist not covered. When I first started shipping with them I tried filing a claim before I knew it was not covered and this is what happened. I argued that it was covered but it was no use..............
But, for the price and service you cant go wrong. For many places they do not offer overnight service. If you check the shipping quote area on there website it will tell you the date that it is guaranteed by. Match that with the day that you entered for the ship date and that will show if it is overnight or two day service.

There is a small trick to making it overnight to EVERY location. If the buyer is willing to pick up the package at there local post office it will be there the next day after you ship it even if it is not an overnight destination.
The post office will get the package on there latest shipment from air which is around 3:00pm. Its too late for them to deliver it that day so it makes it a second day package. So they deliver it the next day.
It will be at the local post office and if people at the local post office are willing to take the time to get it then you are safe for all USPS packages being overnight.
Hope this helps!

oceaninabox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She might have thought it was jewelry coral and not what we know coral to be. I realize FedEx is a little more pricey but I watch how they pick up and drop off my packages. They handle them with care. When I used to go to the post office the clerk would grab my package then toss it in the outbound bin. In addition I use to work at the airport running mail for the post office and I gotta tell ya. If you seen what ive seen you may give it s a second thought. Even most recently I received a coral from Chong. It was a Tyree watermelon frag and came via USPS it was toast when it arrived. For shipping zoas....go for it, but for any other coral and especially anything of value my money goes with FedEx

dan10342

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just got a tyree watermelon yesterday (a bigger one than the one i already have) and it looks rough just from the car ride home... touchy corals. i would definatly not ship UPSP for a tyree chalice.

zoas on the other hand are great for USPS or even 2nd day USPS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the coral that I sell on eBay I give the buyer the choice. This way they can do what they feel is best for them. Some want to spend the extra cash and ship with FedEx or UPS. But 99 percent of them go with the cheaper shipping. With breathable bags the box can be tossed around a lot. With no oxygen the the bag there is no splashing around. But again, because it works for me does not mean it will work for everyone.

oceaninabox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I just fragged my Tyree watermelon and one of the frags is looking rough around the edges. Touchy Touchy!!!!!

robharold

Farmer wannabe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a small trick to making it overnight to EVERY location. If the buyer is willing to pick up the package at there local post office it will be there the next day after you ship it even if it is not an overnight destination.
The post office will get the package on there latest shipment from air which is around 3:00pm. Its too late for them to deliver it that day so it makes it a second day package. So they deliver it the next day.
It will be at the local post office and if people at the local post office are willing to take the time to get it then you are safe for all USPS packages being overnight.
Hope this helps!

I would love to see someone get a package to me overnight from USPS. Even my express mail I have ordered stuff with came the 3rd day. I live quite a ways out. I know that my local PO(loranger) gets there mail from the larger PO(Hammond) about 15 miles or so from them. That one gets it from the main PO(Mandeville) about 25 miles from there. So it would MAYBE arrive
at the Mandeville office day one and possibly the hammond office day one but it does not make it to the Loranger office until mid-morning day 2 at the earliest. Meaning the driver has already gone and it will not get here til day 3. I have lost 2 orders of stuff since I lived here b/c of it.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 62 50.4%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 4.1%
Back