Utility Pump recomendation

Joshua Jordan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a saltwater mixing station in my laundry nook 20 feet horizontally away from my tank. Vertically, it is probably 48" from the bottom of the holding tank to the top of the aquarium rim. I just purchased a Python "No Spills" kit with 25 feet of hose. I also bought the adapter for the Python so that I could attach it toany type of outlet of a submersible pump. (garden hose adapter or vinyl hose)

What do you think is a decent choice for a submersible/utility pump to run saltwater from the mixing station to my display tank? There are a lot of choices out there.......I just don't know how much GPH I need. I don't want to spend a lot of money on this. I am good about preventative maintenance on my equipment so I don't mind buying something cheaper of ot os built good. Thoughts?

Thanks so much for your time and replies.

Cheers

Josh

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi i would recommend mag drive 9.5,reliable pumps approx 1000 gph at 0 head,happy reefing

R.Weller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To cheaply & reliably move water, I use Jebao. I would expect the DCP-2500 (600 gal/hr) would work but to provide other usage options, I would move up to the 6500 or 8000 series. They range $60 - $100 on Amazon. I use all three of these models. They are DC pumps so you can dial them down based on how much pressure you would need in the line. The horizontal distance should have no impact on the performance of the pump. Sounds like a great project.

DaAznGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree on the mag pump for something cheap and reliable. Can’t say I agree with Jebao being reliable. As far as gph. Depends on how long you want to wait to fill tank up and how much of a change you are doing each time.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
as far as jebao,also agree but buy two,have that back up;)

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 177 72.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 45 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back