UV and Filter Question

justdeb1107

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 25, 2024
Messages
211
Reaction score
199
Location
Birmingham
What state or country do you live in
Alabama
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed a UV sterilizer on my 210 gallon, and since then my filter roller is filled with green algae and my skimmer is filling with green slimy grossness. Does this mean the UV is working and killing floating algae in the water column? I assume yes, obviously, but just checking in. Didn't know what to expect.
IMG_5877.jpeg
 
It is normal. But would you be willing to bypass the fleece roller and turn off the skimmer to keep the phytoplankton circulating longer? It’s my dilemma lately
 
It is normal. But would you be willing to bypass the fleece roller and turn off the skimmer to keep the phytoplankton circulating longer? It’s my dilemma lately
I read that's what you're supposed to do for a short while when you add phyto. I don't have any coral in that specific tank, so I haven't done it in that one yet. I do have a BioCube 32 full of LPS and softies (as well as a clam), and I dose phyto. I don't turn off the skimmer and UV on it, though, and the inhabitants are thriving.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 25.9%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new