UV filter How to plumb/install

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanting to put a UV sterlizer on new tank I am going to put together and trying to figure out how.

75 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/25-watt-classic-uv-sterilizer-black-body-aqua-ultraviolet.html this one

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/varios-4-controllable-dc-pump-1050-gph-reef-octopus.html, The return pump DC and return line goes up the back of the tank and over the back of the tank as it is not drilled.

So can I plumb with softline from the return to this UV sterlizer and then from the UV up to the DT? Want to use it to help control algae

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The short answer is ‘Yes.’ I have gone from a separate (dedicated) second pump (variable speed) in my sump, out to the UV, and back to a separate area in the sump. It is not as effective as going back to the display tank, but I run mine 24 hours a day and it’s moving a ton of water. The tank is crystal clear. Best wishes.

70C18956-1240-4D5A-BEE2-235C42F22293.jpeg

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The short answer is ‘Yes.’ I have gone from a separate (dedicated) second pump (variable speed) in my sump, out to the UV, and back to a separate area in the sump. It is not as effective as going back to the display tank, but I run mine 24 hours a day and it’s moving a ton of water. The tank is crystal clear. Best wishes.

What are those clamps holding UV light and where did you get them?

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes where did those clamps come from? With the UV? Does it have to be mounted vertically?

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can it be mounted horizontally?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the manufacturer’s instructions, but even for those who say it’s OK it is not optimal, due to possible air bubbles collecting and impeding the best operation; in that case it is best to have it at at least a slight angle. One thing to consider, that some people overlook, is that if you have a 2 foot unit, you need to have room to pull the bulb basically 2 feet straight out. A 4 foot unit, means you would need 4 feet, and so on. If you paint the back of your tank black, then you can see mine— mounted vertically— cannot be seen through the tank, and I have all the way to the ceiling to pull out the bulb.

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the manufacturer’s instructions, but even for those who say it’s OK it is not optimal, due to possible air bubbles collecting and impeding the best operation; in that case it is best to have it at at least a slight angle. One thing to consider, that some people overlook, is that if you have a 2 foot unit, you need to have room to pull the bulb basically 2 feet straight out. A 4 foot unit, means you would need 4 feet, and so on. If you paint the back of your tank black, then you can see mine— mounted vertically— cannot be seen through the tank, and I have all the way to the ceiling to pull out the bulb.
Just trying to figure on space, inside the stand it is pretty tight with the sump. To change the bulb I could unhook the filter and remove it to change the bulb. Not like that would be something would do very often anyway.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Where did u get those clamps?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back