Uv filter in redsea sump...

Mandrew559

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumbing my uv filter with a dedicated pump, intake is in skimmer chamber...should I run the output into the return section, or does it matter if output is before intake in sump?

Trizz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Plumbing my uv filter with a dedicated pump, intake is in skimmer chamber...should I run the output into the return section, or does it matter if output is before intake in sump?
you should never run you return from the uv back to the sump go straight to the tank, preferably, if you could run it of the return line into the in-port of the uv then out of the uv into the tank is the best way so you have a total closed loop, but if you can't do that then run a separate closed loop out of the tank to the uv then back into the tank would be the optimum solution.....

SleepyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an issue at all. I disagree with Trizz on given how the Red Sea sump works. As long as the pump that you use for the UV has lower flow rate than your return. Then you just need to pull water from one chamber and spit out in another. There is absolutely no way for water to “go back” causing recycling of UV’d water. The best is the one you mentioned. From skimmer chamber down to return. There is absolutely no way for water flow back unless your return has a lower effective flow rate than your UV pump. In that case you would notice as the water levels would be screwed up.

RGoltz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 25w UV in my 425XL sump.

For me, running the pump in the skimmer chamber and then placing the output in the return section would be ideal but it messed with my overall flow and my ATO sensor.

I am instead returning the flow into a filter sock. While this might not be 100% efficient, I think the UV has helped with the very small amount of ich I *might* have had in the tank, I was never sure. The water is certainly crystal clear. I think the method helps keep the whole sump cleaner because this added flow through the sump keeps more in suspension and obviously puts more into the filter sock. I then swap the one sock every 3 days. Works for me!

On my next tank I would have more dedicated plumbing for the UV and filter roller..

Back