UV filter

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I’ve read so many forums and articles my brains just not working anymore and I can’t figure out what UV filter watt/power would be best for me .

I have a 550L DT and a 150Lsump and I want to get aUV filter to reduce the free swimming ich parasites. Anyone have any suggestions or systems that have worked for you?

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume it depends on the flow rate. 55 watt is ok as well as a 90, if you use high flow return pump go with the highest wattage possible, there is a calculation for this somewhere on this site.

jordan9095

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume it depends on the flow rate. 55 watt is ok as well as a 90, if you use high flow return pump go with the highest wattage possible, there is a calculation for this somewhere on this site.
it depends on your goal and other factors like flow rate. you should watch this video -

the manufacturer should let you know what size you need for your tank and flow rate for intended use. if they don't provide that info, should probably get one from a more reputable manufacturer

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should work fine. I run 55 watts on my 200g.
Of course for parasite control, real slow for maximum contact time.
For parasite control the tank turnover as well as the flow through the unit has to be within certain criteria. I have a Neptune flow sensor right after my UV so I know what the flow is.

1603758127739.png

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For parasite control the tank turnover as well as the flow through the unit has to be within certain criteria. I have a Neptune flow sensor right after my UV so I know what the flow is.

1603758127739.png

Looks way too slow for clarification, you need to turn your tank 3-4x per hour, algae is a fast replicator.
Those numbers don’t look right to me.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my return pump at 600ish gph which is approx 3 times turnover rate. With my 90 watt UV it puts me at right around 7 gph per watt. That should be the sweet spot for parasite control. I have no algae on rocks and water looks extremely clear. Glass stays clean for days as well. I clean glass twice a week. I don’t regularly use carbon.

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I’ve read so many forums and articles my brains just not working anymore and I can’t figure out what UV filter watt/power would be best for me .

I have a 550L DT and a 150Lsump and I want to get aUV filter to reduce the free swimming ich parasites. Anyone have any suggestions or systems that have worked for you?
Get a 50 watt high output Pentair from Bulk Reef Supply I have this exact one on my tank and it works phenomenal

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

At Jordan 9095 is showing u a brs video that just came out get that exact 1 they're is no better than pentair in my opinion the rest are basically toys like brs said.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At Jordan 9095 is showing u a brs video that just came out get that exact 1 they're is no better than pentair in my opinion the rest are basically toys like brs said.
While most UV sterilizers sold for aquariums (especially the <$100 ones on Amazon or ebay) are "toys" and nothing more than water clarifiers at best as @Pistol Peet referred, your choice is definitely not limited to just the Pentair that BRS sells. That being said, the Pentair UVs are 10% off at BRS right now. The main thing as with almost everything in this hobby is don't cheap out on UV equipment.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back