UV for a Biocube

Scolyosis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I am looking for any advice as to which UV sterilizer I should add into my coralife 32g biocube. I am getting the UV to help avoid the spread of Dinos. I have done my research and do not need any further advice other than what is the best UV for my 32g cube. I do no have a sump, so if I go inline I will need to buy a pump and tubing for it. Shoot me some suggestions.

William Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally ran a exposed bulb UV sterilizer in one of the chambers of my daughters JBJ 28. The results were great when I put it on a timer and ran it for 3-4 hours per day. Some of the cleanest chambers I ever had in her little tank. I found it on Amazon for about $20. Yes, its a Chinese made bulb. Did it work, yes... I own 4 of them now. Running on various other systems. They are exposed bulb so care must be taken that fish or your eyes do not make contact with the light. Being in the back of a JBJ 28 they were completely isolated so it was safe. They do "wear out", the bulbs loose their "potency" per say. Mine in her tank lasted about 18 months on the previously mentioned schedule.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think theres an in line one that attaches in between outlet of the return pump and the return hose to the tank

William Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think theres an in line one that attaches in between outlet of the return pump and the return hose to the tank
I've heard about those but aren't the flow rates too high on a return pump to work properly? Purely speculation on my part but know for them to be effective there is an optimal flow rating.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those return pumps arent very strong. And the uv in all reality will only clean the water of algae and bacterial blooms. I dont think it would be effective on free floating parasites.

ShaneA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally ran a exposed bulb UV sterilizer in one of the chambers of my daughters JBJ 28. The results were great when I put it on a timer and ran it for 3-4 hours per day. Some of the cleanest chambers I ever had in her little tank. I found it on Amazon for about $20. Yes, its a Chinese made bulb. Did it work, yes... I own 4 of them now. Running on various other systems. They are exposed bulb so care must be taken that fish or your eyes do not make contact with the light. Being in the back of a JBJ 28 they were completely isolated so it was safe. They do "wear out", the bulbs loose their "potency" per say. Mine in her tank lasted about 18 months on the previously mentioned schedule.
Does that kill the beneficial bacteria?

stoneyrok

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will this Green killing machine fit into the back of the biocube on the 3rd chamber okay? I can't fit it into chamber one due to protein skimmer, and chamber two is for filter media, three is the return pump, and I keep some extra live rock back there in case I want to frag something. I just saw the vids of this in action and they all are hanging inside of the tank, which isn't exactly what I wanted. I wanted to hide this.
Thanks!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Innovative marine now has a filter sock with a UV unit combo that is placed at Overflow and will entrap micron sediment and shock the water together

stoneyrok

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. So a follow up post.
I guess this would fit into chamber one IF YOU don’t have a protein skimmer there. Your heater should be there. So, yes in chamber one if possible.
consider if you’ll ever place a protein skimmer in chamber one cause you’ll have to choose one or the other.
It’s due to a constant water level.
What I have found however is while you might have to hang it inside, usually you’ll only use it for a week or so.
It’s not a 24/7 device unless you have other reasons for it to be. ???
I have the skimmer and the UV green machine. So far I’ve only had the green machine running for a few days. I know it is clearing out the remainder of Vibrant and also killing some left over plankton.
So I’ll run the UV for a week or so. If the algae is still peaked a touch I’ll use a second round of vibrant.

Back