UV install plumbing question

shadyraro

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 21, 2022
Messages
628
Reaction score
385
Location
Sydney
What state or country do you live in
Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to install an aqua twist 25w UV into my setup, but I have a question re plumbing.
I plan on tapping into a return manifold to use as the UV input as my sump is too small to run its own pump (Cade 900).
I was then wondering if I could tap into another return manifold further down the line to run the UV output water into as I don’t want to return UV water to the sump and just recycle the same stuff over but prefer it to go into the display.
Would this work?

The left circle would be the UV input line and right circle the output.
IMG_3284.jpeg

My other option is running a pvc return from the UV back into the display.
 
This can work, but it requires a third valve on the return line, between the UV inlet, and UV outlet ports of the manifold! (Possibly a gate valve for more precise control)

Otherwise, you’ll have an undetermined volume of water passing through the UV, likely little to none as the water prefers to take the straightest path through the plumbing…
 
This can work, but it requires a third valve on the return line, between the UV inlet, and UV outlet ports of the manifold! (Possibly a gate valve for more precise control)

Otherwise, you’ll have an undetermined volume of water passing through the UV, likely little to none as the water prefers to take the straightest path through the plumbing…
So although I could adjust the UV’s input flow via the ball valve, and the ball valve on the output manifold would always remain open, I’d still need a third valve?
 
So although I could adjust the UV’s input flow via the ball valve, and the ball valve on the output manifold would always remain open, I’d still need a third valve?
Yes, water’s lazy, and will always take the path of least resistance!

This said, you’ll end up with little to no water preferring to take that 90 degree turn into the UV, vs. just passing straight by it through the fully unrestricted return plumbing!
 
I get what you’re saying but I have run reactors off those manifolds in the past and never had an issue with lack of water flow.
 
I get what you’re saying but I have run reactors off those manifolds in the past and never had an issue with lack of water flow.
As in, you’ve had reactors plumbed from one return manifold port to another and had water flowing through with no other changes?

Or were these reactors being fed by manifold ports, and discharging back into the sump?
 
As in, you’ve had reactors plumbed from one return manifold port to another and had water flowing through with no other changes?

Or were these reactors being fed by manifold ports, and discharging back into the sump?
Fed by manifolds and back into the sump.
I guess I could just plumb it to try it out, if it doesn’t work I’ll just go a different route.
 
Fed by manifolds and back into the sump.
I guess I could just plumb it to try it out, if it doesn’t work I’ll just go a different route.
Ah, this worked because flowing back to the sump is the path of least resistance from the return line, vs. fighting gravity to get to the display!

What you’re proposing doing with your UV is pressurizing both inlet and outlet from the same return line, to essentially the same pressure… this will net close to zero water movement, which in-itself can cause the UV to overheat!
 
Are you sure you can't find room in your sump for a small pump? I'm running my UV with a Sicce Syncra SDC 3.0 DC pump, its pretty small and allows you to control the flow rate through the UV, and output to a downstream sump compartment.
 
Are you sure you can't find room in your sump for a small pump? I'm running my UV with a Sicce Syncra SDC 3.0 DC pump, its pretty small and allows you to control the flow rate through the UV, and output to a downstream sump compartment.
It’s a small sump and she’s pretty crammed in there, but an output back into the sump might be the easiest option.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new