UV lights????? Necessary???

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I ordered a Jebo 36 watt unit for my 93 cube and am trying to do a better job of figuring out flow instead of just "run it and see" Which is what I usually do.

:)

OP
OP
Tautog

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I leave my UV (TMC 110w) on for the whole day my skimmer will go nuts. It does have an effect on water clarity.
For info info I found this site is a good one
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumUVSterilization.html#whatsize
Thanks for the info, but I’m gathering you run your UV for only a few hours or when you turn off the skimmer? That would make sense to me, especially if you turn off the skimmer for a few hours after feeding corals, thus allowing the food to circulate and not be removed.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My UV runs for a 3 hours at night 2 to 5 am and then 2 hours from 8 to 10 am. My skimmer runs for 2 hours 3x a day - 5 to 7 , 11 to 13 , 17 to 19.

OP
OP
Tautog

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My UV runs for a 3 hours at night 2 to 5 am and then 2 hours from 8 to 10 am. My skimmer runs for 2 hours 3x a day - 5 to 7 , 11 to 13 , 17 to 19.
Thanks again, that really does explain a lot, but even as a heavy feeder I’m still running my tank too clean. That has been my issue since I started. My tank never cycled, and matured quicker than fellow reefers would ever expect, but happy to see I didn’t have many loses. Again, thanks, it’s those little things that hopefully get us all over a hump! New UV on the way, 18 watt

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the past couple of years I have not wanted to run UV, but those dang dinos pop up and the last time was even with detectable phosphate/nitrate and old live rock. Across various systems I get them (keep in mind I'm talking years) and every time for me UV has knocked them out. The dinos I get don't seem to need all that high of UV to knock them back, I even had a little HOB UV that killed them in a pico reef.

So despite me not wanting to say they are needed I sure have used them a lot...

OP
OP
Tautog

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For What It’s Worth, this debate could go on for ever. Maybe I should ask: Are UV lights a must for growing Acros? Everything grows and reproduces, but leathers, go figure, lol.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For What It’s Worth, this debate could go on for ever. Maybe I should ask: Are UV lights a must for growing Acros? Everything grows and reproduces, but leathers, go figure, lol.
Are they required for growing Acros, no. Can them help?....absolutely depending on your water conditions. UV is proven to kill parasites and bacteria that pass through it. As long as the contact time and strength of the bulb are sufficient, it will do what it is supposed to do. That being said, it only treats water that passes through it so it isn't going to solve any issues on its' own (other than green water, which it clears up almost overnight) but can help along with other methods.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back