UV setup questions

acshaw80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dinos and am thinking I would like to get a UV sterilizer to help reduce nuisance algae.

I’m confused as to how I plumb this because I’m a noob. Is the idea that you have one line from your return pump feeding in to the sterilizer and one line returning water into you display tank?

I’m also concerned about flow rate. I have a Red Sea max e170 and I believe the stock return pump is about 560/gph. I’m not sure what the manufacturer recommends for flow rate for nuisance algae but I’ve read that it can be 200-400gph.

I’m thinking of only running UV on and off a few times a year rather than continuously (watched a video from BRS and they indicated this was fine to do). If I intend to do this would it just make sense to buy a lower flow pump and plumb the sterilizer into that for a week and then switch back to my return pump when I’m ready to disconnect the sterilizer?

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dabcrusher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would getba dedicated pump or a bigger pump and build a manifold but keep in mind the more you turn the bulb off and on it takes a a ay from the battery life

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back