Uv sterilizer and flow rate

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone explain how the math works for me? I have a 40W and a 130g system. At what flow rates would I go to attack ich, dinos or Algae, I know they are all different. I just want to under stand what you guys are talking about.
If there’s a formula, I’m not aware of one. I get my info from the manual that came with my UV

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone explain how the math works for me? I have a 40W and a 130g system. At what flow rates would I go to attack ich, dinos or Algae, I know they are all different. I just want to under stand what you guys are talking about.

contact time is the time for whatever you're trying to kill to be exposed to the uv. I have done some searches and found that 280,000 uw/cm2 works for me.

each manufactor has a spec for their UV. In case of Aqua Ultraviolet, their rating for 25w UV is 30,000uw/cm2 @ 1,200gph

280,000/30,000 = 9.33

1,200/9.33 = 128gph.

I hope i got the calculation correct as its still 8am and I haven't finished my coffee yet.

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the contact is important to kill/modify its genetic makeup. However, there are may other variables to consider.

The size of the aquarium vs the population of fish to me is very important. If you got a 200g aquarium that has a pair of clowns very is different from 200g with 20 tangs. The amount of free floating tomites in aquarium with lots of fish is much more.

So going back to my situation, in my 200g system. If I had a pair of clows, a flame angel and a tang... a 25w uv will probably be more than enough. However, I have 6 angels, 7 tangs, butterfly, and a bunch of other fish, I will need a much bigger UV to be able to handle the tomites that are free floating due to the amount of fish that are available for the protozoan to reproduce.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back