UV Sterilizer Experts PLS

mickeysreef <*))))<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. Am seeking input on what size pump to use for a coralife turbo-twist 12x 36w UV i just bought. box says its rated for 500g. so the chart states what size pump to use but im guessing this is for 500g. My tank is actually 210g filled with rock and a 40g sump filled with about 30g of water. soa maybe im at 200 or a little less or more but not far from there.

idk but im guessing i can use about half of those values to achieve the same goal? i have a dc pump rated about 660g i can use today otherwise i'll have to buy something else.

my goal is to eliminate parasites and algae. i am also wondering if i should buy a bigger dc pump and then can use for bacteria later if needed.

where the chart indicates bacteria, is that meant to target bacteria blooms or something else?

20200411_113351.jpg

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the info you need for your unit is actually on that graph. Your 660gph pump puts you right in the algae range. For parasites it's alot slower and can't really be optimized for both. You can aim for a value in between but it will do a mediocre job at both. I would aim for parasites and handle the algaes with other methods.

OP
OP
mickeysreef <*))))<

mickeysreef <*))))<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you. i suspected that. ive got the dc pump set for 290/g/h right now. treating tank with copper at the moment so i'll just focus on parasites for the next 30ish days. set my sights on algae at a later time.

OP
OP
mickeysreef <*))))<

mickeysreef <*))))<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can optimize for both. You just have to buy a bigger unit.

bought the biggest model this manufacturer makes, currently on sale at chewy. less than 24 hours and the water looks 100% clearer at 290 gph

was getting pretty cloudy since i pulled all chemicals from tank last week

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 81 44.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 83 45.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.4%
Back