UV sterilizer flow question

Gobi-Wan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a jebao 36w pond UV sterilizer that I have used for Dino eradication in the past. I would like to hook it up permanently and wondered if anyone knows what flow rate it needs. I have a 300gph pump I can use with it. Would this be enough flow for it to be safe? I know this rate will result in plenty of dwell time but I’m concerned it might overheat or something. Am I safe or do I need a bigger pump?

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to want a true 350 gph or higher through the UV unit to avoid significant overheating of the water. At a rate of 1-watt per 10-gallons flow, most UV units will produce roughly a 2-3 degree Fahrenheit rise.

I typically run 36-watt UVs at 400-450 gph as measured at the UV unit.

OP
OP
Gobi-Wan

Gobi-Wan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to want a true 350 gph or higher through the UV unit to avoid significant overheating of the water. At a rate of 1-watt per 10-gallons flow, most UV units will produce roughly a 2-3 degree Fahrenheit rise.

I typically run 36-watt UVs at 400-450 gph as measured at the UV unit.
Thank you! That was exactly what I was thinking I just needed to hear actual numbers

Aldrinlights

Reeth Huthbandry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone answer me this please? The UV flow rates posted on manufacturer websites list different flow rates for algae vs disease eradication.

Does this mean that the slower flow rate used for disease eradication would not work to also kill algae which is free floating in the water?

Is it one or the other or perhaps you can do algae and disease at a lower rate?

pledosophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone answer me this please? The UV flow rates posted on manufacturer websites list different flow rates for algae vs disease eradication.

Does this mean that the slower flow rate used for disease eradication would not work to also kill algae which is free floating in the water?

Is it one or the other or perhaps you can do algae and disease at a lower rate?
The slower flow rate will kill algae and parasites. The faster flow rate will not kill parasites.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back