UV Sterilizer Flow Rate Question!

Djordan719

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I have searched the forum and watched the BRS videos on UV sterilizers. I may have missed the answer to my question. If so, I apologize!

I had an ich outbreak (maybe other things too, not sure) recently and it was horrible. I lost some of my favorite fish. I noticed it too late, and the treatment/quarantine only saved about half of my fish.

I started researching eradication/management methods and I decided that I would get a UV sterilizer. I had an extra return pump laying around rated for 2650gph. I purchased an Aqua Ultraviolet 57w unit from BRS. I have a 230gal total water volume system. And I was focusing on bigger is better option.

I did not realize how much flow I would lose through the unit, and plumbing back into the tank. Running the DC pump at 100% I calculated (with a 1 gallon container and a stopwatch) that it’s really only putting out about 600gph.

I bought the UV sterilizer to help manage the free floating parasite population in the water column. The lowest recommended protozoa bacteria water flow rate is 1066gph for this unit. Given that the general suggestion I keep seeing and hearing for this type of parasite management is “slow flow rate”, will it achieve what I’m trying to achieve? If not, obviously I need to purchase a different unit or pump. If yes, are there other repercussions I need to be aware of from being below the suggested flow rate?

Thanks for the read, and pre-thanks for the feedback!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. You can run less than the minimum flow rate - it just means longer dwell time and higher UV exposure. I have the same UV model and I run mine at between 600-800Gph.

You can actually run up to 1066Gph and still get the maximum exposure rate for parasites (flow higher than that results in diminishing exposure time).

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I have searched the forum and watched the BRS videos on UV sterilizers. I may have missed the answer to my question. If so, I apologize!

I had an ich outbreak (maybe other things too, not sure) recently and it was horrible. I lost some of my favorite fish. I noticed it too late, and the treatment/quarantine only saved about half of my fish.

I started researching eradication/management methods and I decided that I would get a UV sterilizer. I had an extra return pump laying around rated for 2650gph. I purchased an Aqua Ultraviolet 57w unit from BRS. I have a 230gal total water volume system. And I was focusing on bigger is better option.

I did not realize how much flow I would lose through the unit, and plumbing back into the tank. Running the DC pump at 100% I calculated (with a 1 gallon container and a stopwatch) that it’s really only putting out about 600gph.

I bought the UV sterilizer to help manage the free floating parasite population in the water column. The lowest recommended protozoa bacteria water flow rate is 1066gph for this unit. Given that the general suggestion I keep seeing and hearing for this type of parasite management is “slow flow rate”, will it achieve what I’m trying to achieve? If not, obviously I need to purchase a different unit or pump. If yes, are there other repercussions I need to be aware of from being below the suggested flow rate?

Thanks for the read, and pre-thanks for the feedback!
It's worth keeping in mind a couple of things.

The flow rate you mentioned is the *maximum* flow which will achieve a UV exposure of 90,000uW/cm.

That exposure is sufficient for some protozoa, including Freshwater Ich, but is insufficient for Crytocaryon Irritans or Marine Ich.

For marine Ich you require a minimum of 280,000 uw/cm which is three times the dosage, therefore you need to reduce the flow a third of what you stated.

OP
OP
Djordan719

Djordan719

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. You can run less than the minimum flow rate - it just means longer dwell time and higher UV exposure. I have the same UV model and I run mine at between 600-800Gph.

You can actually run up to 1066Gph and still get the maximum exposure rate for parasites (flow higher than that results in diminishing exposure time).
Awesome thank you for the feedback!

OP
OP
Djordan719

Djordan719

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's worth keeping in mind a couple of things.

The flow rate you mentioned is the *maximum* flow which will achieve a UV exposure of 90,000uW/cm.

That exposure is sufficient for some protozoa, including Freshwater Ich, but is insufficient for Crytocaryon Irritans or Marine Ich.

For marine Ich you require a minimum of 280,000 uw/cm which is three times the dosage, therefore you need to reduce the flow a third of what you stated.
Good info, ty! Love the reef2reef community!

102ttran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a waterbox 220 and im planning to run a 57w uv through a manifold. i have a rd3 100w pump max flow rate is 3100gph. and on aquauv website the requirement flow im looking for is 2100gph so if i max out my rd3 pump will i get enough flow for the uv and the tank return? just dont want to get another pump just for the uv itself.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a waterbox 220 and im planning to run a 57w uv through a manifold. i have a rd3 100w pump max flow rate is 3100gph. and on aquauv website the requirement flow im looking for is 2100gph so if i max out my rd3 pump will i get enough flow for the uv and the tank return? just dont want to get another pump just for the uv itself.
It's going to depend on a lot of things, pipe sizing, how many tees and bends, head pressure, etc.

Most pumps only deliver the advertised flow with no head pressure and you're lucky to get half of the advertised in real operation.

Best is to use a flow meter and measure the flow, or pump into a container for 10 secs or so and calculate the actual flow.

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be lucky to get 1200 gph with that setup unless you are running 1.5" pvc all the way. 1" 11-1200 best case.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back