UV Sterilizer for Fish Disease Management

xtinelu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first post!

Hi all,

I am new to the hobby and have been reading and watching all that I can to learn as much as possible.

After watching BRS TV channel, I've decided to purchase an Aqua Advantage 2000 (8 Watt) Barb x Barb. The flow rate is Minimum 214 gph up to 642 gph. I still don't quite understand the whole µW/cm2 measurements. I think I just have to sit down and learn what this is.

I have a 40 gallon AIO system running for about 2.5 weeks - sand and rocks from this tank was transferred over from a previous tank I had set up and was cycling early September.

I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on the recommended flow rate for fish parasites/bacteria management but perhaps even a middle ground flow rate to target both disease and algae? If there is such a thing.

I have a Sicce 1.0 with a max output of 251GPH and a Sicce 1.5 pump with max output of 357 GPH. Both are adjustable flow rate so I have the option to turn the dial down a bit on each pump.

I heard going lower in GPH may be better to prolong the contact time to disrupt the DNA of organisms.

I'm just confused after reading some threads, people go as low as 150gph but those are all on units with higher wattage. Whereas the one I've already purchased is only 8w. Plus the two pumps I have don't go that low and I would much rather not have to purchase more things than I have to. I want to work with what I've got. Money is flying out of my pocket lately since jumping on to this new hobby! Lol

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want a flow rate of <214Gph for parasite control. Anything between 214-642Gph won't be effective for parasites (only algae) - and anything higher than 642Gph won't be effective at all.

OP
OP
xtinelu

xtinelu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The staff told me not to run it less than the manufacturer's recommended flow rate. He said if not enough water pumps through it then it could burn and it can cause a fire. Thoughts?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.2%
Back