UV Sterilizer in Manifold

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering what are the risks, if any, of running my 18w Pentair UV from my return manifold (will have one...MAYBE two...reactors on it), back to the return line. This will be for a Red Sea Reefer 250, using the V3 sump. I'll probably go with a Vectra L2 return pump to supply the entire manifold/return. I'll go with a gate valve to each manifold split...and add a flow sensor between the gate valve and the UV to make sure I'm getting the proper flow through my UV.

The question is...what are the risks (if any) in tying the exit from the UV, back into the return line instead of dumping it back into the sump?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None I know of. My UV is the last step for manifold return water, before the tank.

OP
OP
DocRose

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, are you also planning on having a gate valve on the return line prior to the joining of the plumbing exiting the sterilizer? In case it is necessary to reduce flow and force more water through the sterilizer.
I decided to go away from manifolding into the main return line. Instead I have a separate pump that pulls from the sump skimmer chamber, runs to a manifold that feeds my reactor and UV, and then goes back to the sump return chamber.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • None.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.5%
Back