UV Sterilizer Leak

Dr RBG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Coralife Turbotwist 36 watt sterilizer on my Red Sea 450 Reefer. The sterilizer leaks water
into the quartz tube where the bulb and electrical are. About a year ago Coralife replaced the unit at no charge which I thought was very nice of them.

I disassembled the unit today to replace the bulb and found some water inside the tube again and the bulb's contacts were black not brass colored. (corroded)

A couple of questions:
1 Do you really need a UV sterilizer?
2 What seems to be a more reliable brand?
3 is there a do it yourself fix that works?

Thanks!

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here would be my answers to your questions.

1 Do you really need a UV sterilizer?
No. It can be a nice thing to have. Reduces the severity of algal blooms and disease.
2 What seems to be a more reliable brand?
The only three brands I would trust would be Aqua Ultraviolet, Emperor, and Lifegard. Lifegard is the most affordable, but they have been around for decades and I have seen them use in professional fisheries so certainly not garbage despite being half the cost of Aqua Ultraviolet or Emperor
3 is there a do it yourself fix that works?
You may be able to clean the terminals and replace Orings but from my experience if you call Coralife and tell them what happened they might just send you the parts free of charge. Using silicon lube on the threads and orings will help to ensure a good seal.

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the turbo twist as well but it always leaked at the fittings. Replaced the fittings several times and they would always start leaking again. I got sick of it and bought an aqua ultraviolet brand sterilizer, and it’s been great. I guess it’s one of those cases where you get what you pay for.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check that the quartz sleeve isn't cracked. Assuming not, some o-ring lubricant ought to stop the leak.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 41.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 30.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back