uv sterilizer opinions?

chandler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was wondering where people stood on using them on a reef tank. I never have , was wondering if its worth incorporating into my new tank?

navila06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used one for years before removing it due to I needed the space for a better/bigger protein skimmer. wierd thing is though, I didn't have any ich issues while using one, but about 3 weeks after removing it my hippo tang got ich. I have no proof that removing the sterilizer had anything to do with the outbreak, but that's how it seems it went down.

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont use one. Used to have one but it broke and never replaced. Might give it a try when new sump is up.

Afishionado

Richard @ Afishionado Channel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used one for years before removing it due to I needed the space for a better/bigger protein skimmer. wierd thing is though, I didn't have any ich issues while using one, but about 3 weeks after removing it my hippo tang got ich. I have no proof that removing the sterilizer had anything to do with the outbreak, but that's how it seems it went down.

I completely agree with what you said.
With and without is a big difference.

Ryan - UV is just UV just get the cheaper one that works. 9w for smaller 18w for medium/semi large tanks and humongous one for Matt size tank.
Make sure that quarts cover is a good one and that there are no cracks because that can short the whole thing and cause electricity in your tank.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 48 77.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 6.5%
Back