UV sterilizer spews bubbles

sawdavis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a UV sterilizer that hangs on the back of my 75 gallon saltwater aquarium. Recently, it began spewing microbubbles into the water and the only way I was able to stop it was by totally submerging the air valve. I have taken it apart and cleaned it with vinegar but nothing seems to stop it from doing that. Am I damaging it by submerging the air valve? What should I do?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a UV sterilizer that hangs on the back of my 75 gallon saltwater aquarium. Recently, it began spewing microbubbles into the water and the only way I was able to stop it was by totally submerging the air valve. I have taken it apart and cleaned it with vinegar but nothing seems to stop it from doing that. Am I damaging it by submerging the air valve? What should I do?
what UV sterilizer are you using? I ask, as a UV typically does not have an “air valve”. Air does not need to enter a UV. It should be water only.

OP
OP
sawdavis

sawdavis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what UV sterilizer are you using? I ask, as a UV typically does not have an “air valve”. Air does not need to enter a UV. It should be water only.
I bought it from Amazon--Pet Supplies. It has a little blue valve that brings in air. Maybe it isn't called an air valve. Anyway, I think I'll have to call the manufacturer to see what I can do.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought it from Amazon--Pet Supplies. It has a little blue valve that brings in air. Maybe it isn't called an air valve. Anyway, I think I'll have to call the manufacturer to see what I can do.
That would be the valve turn the flow down.

Glad you figured out it was loose. Air bubbles in a uv can lead to a hot spot.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back