UV Sterilizers

  • Thread starter Thread starter Reef.
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Reef.

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 12, 2019
Messages
5,364
Reaction score
3,906
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering, when a UV steriliser states the UV, for example a 50w unit, does that take into account any loss of UV from glass etc
 
Last edited:
Just wondering, when a UV steriliser states the UV, for example a 50w unit, does that take into account any loss of UV from glass etc
I don't believe so.....the wattage listed is the bulb wattage.
 
Wattage is how much energy the bulb uses. You can’t measure output wattage. You can measure lumen output and spectrum from the bulb to the bulb in the glass sleeve. If there was a loss of lumens, it would be minimal, like not enough to make a difference unless the glass was really dirty and calcified where you were blocking light from coming thru. The other thing that can reduce it is running lights for long periods of time. The bulb life starts to diminish resulting in less output.
 
How are you measuring this 3 watts ?
Just going from research, seems around 50% of UV is lost through glass…I realise I’m confusing wattage and UV output.
 
Just going from research, seems around 50% of UV is lost through glass…I realise I’m confusing wattage and UV output.
I knew what you meant lol.....yes, some is lost through the glass. That is why keeping the inner sleeve is so important.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 51 34.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 22 14.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new