UV STERLIZER

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would generally say the only 3 brands I would use would be Emperor, AquaUltraviolet or Lifegard. All three companies make products for industrial water treatment rather than simply aquarium use.

In my experience customer support at Emperor has degraded since Pentair purchased them but it is otherwise an exceptional product. AquaUltraviolet has excellent support as well as incredible parts availability. I also believe their ballasts to be some of the longest lasting and most water resistant. Lifegard will likely be half the price of the others and is perceived as lower quality, but Neal has always given me great service and their new ProMax line has some nice features like ballasts that notify you when the bulb needs to be replaced. I also like the replaceable sleeves so your UV body doesn't degrade.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a huge tank, it’s not going to be cheap. Pentair is a great unit odds are you’ll need to run a separate pump and possibly 2 in series to get the best effect.
It might be a good idea to call the manufactures direct to see what they can do for you.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just double checked and the Lfegard 120W promax are just $650 for that price it would be hard to beat them.

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something like this
or 2x of this

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my personal experience if you are not against relatively low flow through the sump, you can go with two 120W or 150W UV from either Pentair or AquaUV. I have several units from both brands and they all perform flawless so you can't go wrong with either.

I have a 400G system and I run two returns for redundancy so I have two 120W hooked up and run them at the same time initially. But after about 6 months the electricity bill was too high for my taste so now I run them alternatively so the power consumption is cut down to half of what it used to be and it still does a good job of controlling parasites like ich.

Just two weeks ago I had an ich outbreak because of one new fish I introduced (I QT'ed but still got ich into the tank, long story...) and my hippo tang and purple tang were covered in white spots. But a week later everything just cleared out. So I think 120W is sufficient for a 400G as long as the flow rate is correct.

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my personal experience if you are not against relatively low flow through the sump, you can go with two 120W or 150W UV from either Pentair or AquaUV. I have several units from both brands and they all perform flawless so you can't go wrong with either.

I have a 400G system and I run two returns for redundancy so I have two 120W hooked up and run them at the same time initially. But after about 6 months the electricity bill was too high for my taste so now I run them alternatively so the power consumption is cut down to half of what it used to be and it still does a good job of controlling parasites like ich.

Just two weeks ago I had an ich outbreak because of one new fish I introduced (I QT'ed but still got ich into the tank, long story...) and my hippo tang and purple tang were covered in white spots. But a week later everything just cleared out. So I think 120W is sufficient for a 400G as long as the flow rate is correct.
Did the ich come back with the next life cycle. The spots generally do drop off as part of the life cycle. I just hooked my tank up to a pentair while i am going fallow and wanted to see if your ich came back. That is great if it worked.

Also, if you have a pentair does the power pack beep while it is in use?

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone advise me of the Best uv for a 600 gal saltwater tank, really appreciate it Thanks
I personally use a pentair smart UV with a slider and I would have to say the slider is amazing because whenever the quartz sleeve gets dirty with precipitation build up I just use the built in slider to scrape the sleeve clean and boom done

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%

Back