UV Sterlizer

Gramzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is, could I plumb a UV sterilizer off the overflow using a modified bean animal overflow? (See awful hand drawing below) Have 4 tubes and have the extra UV sterilizer line controlled with a second gate valve to dial in the flow. Then dial in the other drains like you would any other bean animal. Then have the three drains go into my crash box and the emergency into the return pump chamber. The only downsides I could see would be some detritus making the UV slightly less efficient and if the pump goes out the sterilizer would run dry. But I would use a controller to shut it off if there’s no flow detected. I feel like it would benefit by running no previously sterilized water and I don’t need to ad a second or larger pump to add the sterilizer

C9473C43-8135-4754-8A32-88EA5646AD56.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really want to be running pre-filtered water through the UV just from a maintenance/longevity standpoint. I run a stand-alone pump for my UV and just route a portion of water from the post filter chamber through the UV to the skimmer chamber. This also increases circulation in my sump chambers.

OP
OP
G

Gramzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really want to be running pre-filtered water through the UV just from a maintenance/longevity standpoint. I run a stand-alone pump for my UV and just route a portion of water from the post filter chamber through the UV to the skimmer chamber. This also increases circulation in my sump chambers.
I don’t see that much of a downside. If it’s plumbed after my refugium it’s still going to have a bunch of particles in so what’s the difference? I don’t have much room for a pump to circulate the water through the UV. This way I don’t need a pump and have one less outlet being used

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see that much of a downside. If it’s plumbed after my refugium it’s still going to have a bunch of particles in so what’s the difference? I don’t have much room for a pump to circulate the water through the UV. This way I don’t need a pump and have one less outlet being used
I wouldn't necessarily plumb it after a refugium for the same reasons. The reason UVs are hooked up to either a return line or separate pump is to ensure a certain amount of water flow - and you usually want the water being sterilized on the way back to the tank. There are other concerns such as any inverts that may inadvertently make their way into the UV by way of the overflow. I'm not trying to talk you out of your plan - just pointing out some potential issues. Good luck.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run the UV off the return or a second pump. I currently use a Pentair UV sterilizer and use a Sicce 4.0 for it specifically. A UV sterilizer needs a specific GPH depending of want you are using it for.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back