Vacation Choices

Which Vacation Option Would You Choose?

• Reefapalooza Chicago

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Fly Fishing In Yosemite

Votes: 14 63.6%
  • Fly Fishing at Home (Yellowstone and Gallitan River)

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely love Hawaii. Been to the Big Island many times, and Oahu.

I snorkeled Kealakekua Bay one year. It was the most incredible display of spinner dolphins I've ever seen. Could have been 1000 of them. They were layered 100ft down, all the way, encircling.... Incredible.
In Kona, I usually stay at the Kona Seaside. I would wake up insanely early and go get coffee from somewhere on Alii drive and watch the spinner dolphins out in the bay. 100's of them out playing most every morning. I'd watch them from the seawall by the old green church.

Reeflux

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been there many times!

Have you been up to Greenwell Farms on a Thursday morning?

They make fresh bread out of an old Portuguese oven. It's one of a kind. If you haven't..go!

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been there many times!

Have you been up to Greenwell Farms on a Thursday morning?

They make fresh bread out of an old Portuguese oven. It's one of a kind. If you haven't..go!
I love breakfast on the Big Island. I always eat at least once at The Coffee Shack right down the road from them. I can't wait till next year to go to Hawaii again. That's my second home away from home. I will try to check out Greenwell Farms. I remember driving by it. I miss fresh Kona Coffee so much.
I loved seeing the chickens sleeping in that tree by the church.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are killing me. I'd love another trip to the big island. So many chickens at the hilo free zoo!

We went for the first time in dec 2019, right before the world fell apart. My highlight was supposed to be renting a boat for fishing and then heading to Captain Cook. Well about 15 mins into the boat ride the ;Vomit started. My wife, 2 kids, and sister in law (all of which are islanders) all vomiting everywhere. So we had to head back. Sigh

Reeflux

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love breakfast on the Big Island. I always eat at least once at The Coffee Shack right down the road from them. I can't wait till next year to go to Hawaii again. That's my second home away from home. I will try to check out Greenwell Farms. I remember driving by it. I miss fresh Kona Coffee so much.
I loved seeing the chickens sleeping in that tree by the church.
Coffee Shack is good. And right near there your right.

Kona gripped me many years ago. I planned on going next week. But with the virus, and Hawaii, and all the politics and quarantine. I decided to try belize. Seems a bit more inviting through the pandemic. This thing will never be over. We might as well start living again. Imho

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are killing me. I'd love another trip to the big island. So many chickens at the hilo free zoo!

We went for the first time in dec 2019, right before the world fell apart. My highlight was supposed to be renting a boat for fishing and then heading to Captain Cook. Well about 15 mins into the boat ride the ;Vomit started. My wife, 2 kids, and sister in law (all of which are islanders) all vomiting everywhere. So we had to head back. Sigh
I miss kayaking at captain cook. There were a few locals that would have to help you load and unload your kayak and make you give them 20 bucks, so they outlawed kayaking there.

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coffee Shack is good. And right near there your right.

Kona gripped me many years ago. I planned on going next week. But with the virus, and Hawaii, and all the politics and quarantine. I decided to try belize. Seems a bit more inviting through the pandemic. This thing will never be over. We might as well start living again. Imho
I'm just hoping to be there with no Vog. I've never experienced that. I would love to see Maui in the distance.

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Chickens everywhere. The eggs at the farmers markets are all free range. Some Hippy just found out where there nests are and they collect them and sell em to you.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I miss kayaking at captain cook. There were a few locals that would have to help you load and unload your kayak and make you give them 20 bucks, so they outlawed kayaking there.
Wow they really make it hard for the locals there to make a buck. We also went to the green sand beach and took an "illegal" ride down in the back of one of the locals trucks

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chickens everywhere. The eggs at the farmers markets are all free range. Some Hippy just found out where there nests are and they collect them and sell em to you.
Right! When I said at the hilo free zoo I meant in the parking lot!

Reeflux

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about green sand? B
I'm just hoping to be there with no Vog. I've never experienced that. I would love to see Maui in the distance.
I have heard they can see Maui on good days.
Wow they really make it hard for the locals there to make a buck. We also went to the green sand beach and took an "illegal" ride down in the back of one of the locals trucks
Yea I've done that. I'm not sure why it's illegal. They've been doing it for years.

It's how they get to charge you $30.

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Green Sand Beach. Did you ever find and use the diving boards in Hilo? They were a blast. The city park there was so beautiful

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about green sand? B
Yea I've done that. I'm not sure why it's illegal. They've been doing it for years.

They made it illegal due to the local harassing people. It's a real shame because a boat is so more expensive.

Maui stands out beautifully when the clouds are gone now. The Vog was always brutal in between the 2 islands. Last time I was in Kona, the Vog was there for a week out of 15 days. That's why I started going to Maui. I can't wait to go back to the Big Island.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about green sand? B

I may have talked them down on price significantly for our 5 person group. Everything worked out great but I was pretty stressed when it came time for payment (wondering if they would have "forgotten" my reduced offer)

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted Yosemite since you live in West Yellowstone. I LOVE West Yellowstone. Wife and I took a covid road trip there last summer from Portland. It never disappoints. Truly paradise.

We just booked a trip to Kauai in May to do some diving. We have to jump through some crazy covid test hoops: test pre flight, quarantine at an approved hotel for 3 days, test again then we can leave hotel.

Wherever you end up going will be fabulous fishing though! Could always come to Oregon and try to get some fall salmon on a fly rod :)

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted Yosemite since you live in West Yellowstone. I LOVE West Yellowstone. Wife and I took a covid road trip there last summer from Portland. It never disappoints. Truly paradise.

We just booked a trip to Kauai in May to do some diving. We have to jump through some crazy covid test hoops: test pre flight, quarantine at an approved hotel for 3 days, test again then we can leave hotel.

Wherever you end up going will be fabulous fishing though! Could always come to Oregon and try to get some fall salmon on a fly rod :)
Next time you come out here, DM me. I work at a couple of hotels. I might be able to get you a deal.

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have talked them down on price significantly for our 5 person group. Everything worked out great but I was pretty stressed when it came time for payment (wondering if they would have "forgotten" my reduced offer)
That can happen. My favorite scam in the world is a fishing trip on the Big Island. You pay good money to go reel in fish and the boat sells the fish. You literally pay to be a deckhand. The best deal is hang out at the Kona Brewery at the bar and chat with people during happy Hour. I met a captain who took me out fishing for free and we had a huge BBQ after. It was a blast.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THATS IT! My next trip will be back to Hawaii....but it is like really, really far for me from the east coast.

I was lucky to go to Kona years ago, stayed north of there, saw a breaching humpback off Hapuna beach and did most of my snorkeling at beach 69. I was planning on snorkeling at the refuge south of Kona but got some 24 hour stomach bug. We also did a day trip to Hilo to see the volcano.

Those breakfasts will kill you....6 egg omelettes, pancakes the size of frisbees...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back