Vacation Choices

Which Vacation Option Would You Choose?

• Reefapalooza Chicago

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Fly Fishing In Yosemite

Votes: 14 63.6%
  • Fly Fishing at Home (Yellowstone and Gallitan River)

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to plan out my one week vacation for this year. The pandemic should either be done or at least close enough to allow to travel by October. This is also the only time I will be able to take off this year, and it has to be in mid October. Reefapalooza sounds interesting. I am wondering if it is more of a huge sales type ordeal though. Would I be able to learn stuff like at MACNA, or is really just people trying to sale me stuff? I love fishing in Yosemite and the surrounding area. I lived there for many years and miss it. I currently live in West Yellowstone, MT the mecca of fly fishing. I fish a lot, although not one single trip last year. Too busy and too many people. Hopefully I can get out some this coming season.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RAP is mostly frags for sale, so the problem is if you buy how do you keep them alive until you get home, they do sell some equipment but it is hit and miss, so ask early, it will be August in Ca.

CubsFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said Yosemite. Good to get away from home. Reef keeping is rad, but I wouldn’t put it above any of my outdoor activities. Give a shout if you make a stop in Tahoe. This place is not bad at all.

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RAP is mostly frags for sale, so the problem is if you buy how do you keep them alive until you get home, they do sell some equipment but it is hit and miss, so ask early, it will be August in Ca.
They have one in Chicago in October. I am fairly certain it will happen.

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said Yosemite. Good to get away from home. Reef keeping is rad, but I wouldn’t put it above any of my outdoor activities. Give a shout if you make a stop in Tahoe. This place is not bad at all.
The only thing that makes me nervous about Yosemite is will it be open? I can always stay on the East side though maybe. The Walker isn't bad.

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YOU want to go to Chicago? I though you weren't much of a people person:).

Any other flyfishing spots? Fished in Utah yet? Colorado?
Yosemite is always home to me. You can't beat the area I live in. The Madison, the snake, so many top tier fly fishing and trout waters.
I love people. I just hate certain social gatherings. Being in a huge "store" drives my anxiety through the roof. If RAP is more of a sales event, I would pass. MACNA sounds awesome, but I can't get that time off.
Your area is on my bucket list. I really want to go out there and try those small streams. Hiking through forests with no one around and fighting fish in small streams is a blast.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I can't believe fishing is winning the pole on this forum! Another vote for Yosemite here. A week fishing sounds so much better than a packed reef convention imo

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I can't believe fishing is winning the pole on this forum! Another vote for Yosemite here. A week fishing sounds so much better than a packed reef convention imo
I'm shocked as well. I also agree with the packed convention as well.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yosemite is always home to me. You can't beat the area I live in. The Madison, the snake, so many top tier fly fishing and trout waters.
I love people. I just hate certain social gatherings. Being in a huge "store" drives my anxiety through the roof. If RAP is more of a sales event, I would pass. MACNA sounds awesome, but I can't get that time off.
Your area is on my bucket list. I really want to go out there and try those small streams. Hiking through forests with no one around and fighting fish in small streams is a blast.

Reef tank is going to get seriously neglected in a couple of months....if we get any rain in March, I'm fishing steelhead.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Winning the "pole"....I see what you did there.:cool:

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to cancel a diving trip to the Philippines last Easter because of the pandemic. I told myself that next Easter I’d do it again. And the pandemic is still around!!!! The beaches are illegal to go to where I live even. I feel locked in. Just get me in the sea. I feel ya. I want to vacation so badly.

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to cancel a diving trip to the Philippines last Easter because of the pandemic. I told myself that next Easter I’d do it again. And the pandemic is still around!!!! The beaches are illegal to go to where I live even. I feel locked in. Just get me in the sea. I feel ya. I want to vacation so badly.
One of the GMs here just got back from there. He is originally from the Philippines. I miss the ocean and diving. That is by far the worst part of being in Montana. Next year is a trip to Hawaii most likely.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the GMs here just got back from there. He is originally from the Philippines. I miss the ocean and diving. That is by far the worst part of being in Montana. Next year is a trip to Hawaii most likely.
I’m originally from Hawaii (Oahu). Good diving and surfing there. I don’t blame you for wanting to go there. I miss it so much.

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m originally from Hawaii (Oahu). Good diving and surfing there. I don’t blame you for wanting to go there. I miss it so much.
I lived in Yosemite. We would fly to the Big Island or Maui for the weekend. Molokini is my favorite dive spot so far. BW is having their GM conference in Oahu in early October. So many people are hoping it won't be cancelled this year.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lived in Yosemite. We would fly to the Big Island or Maui for the weekend. Molokini is my favorite dive spot so far. BW is having their GM conference in Oahu in early October. So many people are hoping it won't be cancelled this year.
I’ve never dove in molokini. Never even been to Maui haha. On my list. Probably moving back to Oahu next year. I do like Hanauma Bay for a quickie. Always catch sea turtles there.

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never dove in molokini. Never even been to Maui haha. On my list. Probably moving back to Oahu next year. I do like Hanauma Bay for a quickie. Always catch sea turtles there.
The back side of Molokini is awesome. Huge wall. Great chance of seeing sharks. The inside is amazing. So much coral and fish everywhere. Crystal clear water and you can hear the whales singing. Two Step might be the best snorkeling in the world on the Big Island. One day I will be hiking the Stairway to Heaven. I just hope it is still up. Last time I was on Maui, there was a huge chunk of it that had fallen so we didn't go to Oahu.

Reeflux

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely love Hawaii. Been to the Big Island many times, and Oahu.

I snorkeled Kealakekua Bay one year. It was the most incredible display of spinner dolphins I've ever seen. Could have been 1000 of them. They were layered 100ft down, all the way, encircling.... Incredible.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.9%
Back