Vacation Disaster...Need to Vent

dbraun15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm away with my family in Orlando...went to Discovery Cove yesterday(if you haven't been, you need to go--1,000,000 gallon lagoon with over 1000 fish, over 100 different species). Had a great time with kids snorkeling etc. That came to a crashing halt last night as my tank sitter goes to my house last night to check on things and finds all fish(except. Clowns) dead. I "had" a 10" Mertensii nem that decides to move and must have gone into a Vortech and got shredded releasing nemocysts killing all fish...I'm absolutely sick to my stomach and won't know the true damage until I get home Sunday...I pray that I don't have a complete crash...why is it that stuff like this seems to happen while on vacation? End rant...thanks for listening!

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it only happens when you are away from the house, only bad things happen when i am 600 miles away from my tank...

So true. Living in Texas I rarely have to worry about cold weather. Several years ago before I had a thermostat I could control from my phone we went to visit the parents for Thanksgiving. We were gone for 5 days. It was in the 80's when we left and I didn't really think to check the weather and really couldn't have done anything if I had. During the couple of days we were gone we went from the 80's to the 20's and snow. Of course at the same time my heater in my 30gal tank decides to stop working. When I got home the tank was in the 50's. I lost almost everything except a few zoas and a brittle star. I've basically ignored the tank ever since then.

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh. I had the same thing happen. I had a 24” mertens. 11am I left for for work and all was well. 4pm I come home to all my fish face first on the opposite side of the tank, in the sand, almost like they were trying to escape. Clowns breathing hard but recovered. Mertens went for a walk 2’ away and shredded a chunk in the mp40. Mertens recovered, but lost all the fish and a handful of sps. It took a couple weeks for everything else to settle down. I had trouble keeping it from walking after that for a little while.

I feel your pain.

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmer overflowed all the nasty back into the tank. I adjusted it to really dry so it didn’t overflow. Took a while to get the slimmer adjusted back to where it was.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get one of these for your Vortech. IMG_3821.JPG

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang, feel your pain. How are the Gig and Haddoni? Tried asking if anyone on LARC could swing by and hook up a carbon reactor?

OP
OP
dbraun15

dbraun15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang, feel your pain. How are the Gig and Haddoni? Tried asking if anyone on LARC could swing by and hook up a carbon reactor?
I checked with Bobby, but he's out of town too. I am so frustrated and haven't really thought more about it. Thanks for the idea.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me I'd try to get someone to pull anything surviving and get in a qt or holding tank, if that's an option, and get carbon on main tank to try to clean out toxins

OP
OP
dbraun15

dbraun15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a phone call from my buddy who ran to my house...looks like all tangs(clown, Kole, orange shoulder, and scopus), royal gramma, 2 azure damsels, lyretail hawk are all gone. Mertensii must have been pretty much liquified...thank God all corals and other nems seem fine. Silver lining I guess.

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks, and Murphy's Law is alive and well for reefkeepers. Nothing bad ever happens on a Sunday afternoon when I take the time to just sit and watch my tank lol! Always when we're away. Good luck and hope you can save as much as possible.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back