Vanadium (ICP Test)

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just received my ICP results and the one consistency across the 4 of the 5 tanks that I had tested was high vanadium. The ICP tests results for vanadium are as follows:
  • 3.6 ppb
  • 5.7 ppb
  • 7.8 ppb
  • 11.2 ppb
  • 12.7 ppb
The low, optimal, and high numbers suggested by ICP are as follows:
Low .7
Optimal 1.7
High 5

Is 5 really the high or is that a conservative number? What are the thoughts on these levels? Are these concerning? Are these concerning only for acros or certain other corals? Are there other connections or correlations that matter (e.g., vanadium and "x" is a bad, but otherwise not an issue)?

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I'd be concerned about that level, but I'd probably also not dose more (like in a trace element additive). Most trace elements have quite a wide range of being OK while being above normal seawater levels (1.8 ppb for vanadium) before being toxic.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think I'd be concerned about that level, but I'd probably also not dose more (like in a trace element additive). Most trace elements have quite a wide range of being OK while being above normal seawater levels (1.8 ppb for vanadium) before being toxic.

Randy, do you know of any credible science that corals need Vanadium? All I've been able to research is that it's in some coral skeletons and most of that seems to be from land runoff not from any "need" for it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, do you know of any credible science that corals need Vanadium? All I've been able to research is that it's in some coral skeletons and most of that seems to be from land runoff not from any "need" for it.

I've not seen any tests in corals. I think it is prudent to maintain it, but the data, even in higher organisms, is somewhat conflicting.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello! Just received my ATI results back- they are recommending a dose of 3.03 ml of Vanadium divided by 2. I don’t know if this is a daily dose or weekly? Appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks

Typically it is a one time correction. They cannot know the daily demand from a single test.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. Is this a trace element I should add to tank during water changes, assuming most variables remained stable ? Thanks for your time.

Vanadium is a needed trace element. Whether any given tank needs more than foods and water changes bring in is a more difficult question to answer.

I’d be wary of adding that same dose very often.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back