Varios 2 sound

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

hey guys,

Picked up a varios 2 on black friday. Finally have it up and running in my new reefer nano. It seems kind of loud and most people say that the varios pump is dead silent. I can hear it humming from accross my living rooM! I took a quick video, turn your sound up and you can hear my pump quite clearly from inside my stand. Is this normal? Thanks!

OP
OP
infinite0180

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hard for me to tell but how far under water is the pump? Sounds like it’s sucking air...
Water is up to the black corner piece where the stock ATO valve would be. Well above the pump intake... no air is making it in.

Tom@HaslettMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Vario-S 2 and it does not make that noise. To me it sounds like either a bad impeller or there’s a foreign object in with the impeller getting knocked around. I would open it up and inspect it. If the impeller is bad then return the pump for a new one.

OP
OP
infinite0180

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a Vario-S 2 and it does not make that noise. To me it sounds like either a bad impeller or there’s a foreign object in with the impeller getting knocked around. I would open it up and inspect it. If the impeller is bad then return the pump for a new one.
I figured its not right. Its way too loud! I opened it up and checked it when i got it. Maybe i need to look at it again. Ill open a ticket with coralvue asap!

OP
OP
infinite0180

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Something is definitely not right. These pumps are normally phenomenally quiet.
Thanks. I actually just pulled it out and everything seems normal. I opened a ticket with cvue. Im a little nervous as the barbed fitting for this pump is hooked up to my Red Sea return tubing. I would really hate to remove it from the tubing in order to ship it back or something! I would need to cut it free and then i would need new tubing as well! Maybe they will send a new pump first?

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

hey guys,

Picked up a varios 2 on black friday. Finally have it up and running in my new reefer nano. It seems kind of loud and most people say that the varios pump is dead silent. I can hear it humming from accross my living rooM! I took a quick video, turn your sound up and you can hear my pump quite clearly from inside my stand. Is this normal? Thanks!

Your water level is pretty low. Just as an experiment can you run it a bit higher to see if that fixes it?

OP
OP
infinite0180

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your water level is pretty low. Just as an experiment can you run it a bit higher to see if that fixes it?
Actually thats just how itappears in the vid. The water is quite high. Its up to the black bracket where the ATO float would be. Its almost high enough to flow over the baffle back into the bubble trap compartment!

Also when the pump first turns on the sump is flooded and the water level is very high. The sound starts immediately uneffected by water level. Also im not sure its even running as smooth as it should. I just imagined it performing better than it does. Something not right...

Last edited:

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Can you raise the pump so it's not sitting on the bottom of the sump? Only has to be a tiny bit. Maybe put a pad or vinyl tubing under it.
Sometimes a pump can vibrate or resonate when touching the wall or bottom of a sump.

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it looks the pump isn’t in enough water. Here’s my varios 6 on the lvl 4 setting and it’s nearly silent.

image.jpg

OP
OP
infinite0180

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree it looks the pump isn’t in enough water. Here’s my varios 6 on the lvl 4 setting and it’s nearly silent.

image.jpg

Sound persists regardless of water level. I sent the vid to coralvue and they are sending a new impeller. If that doesnt fix it then i have to send them my pump :/

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 40 31.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back