Varios 4 Pump Plumbing Query (300XL)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

SparklesMcgraw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I just picked up a Varios 4 pump as I am setting up a new 300XL. I just realized that the green hose supplied by Red Sea must be a tad small for the barb supplied with the pump. I believe it is a 5/8" hose that red sea provide? I could probably heat up the tubing and make it fit but here are my queries:

1) Should I change out the red sea return line barb to a larger one so I can accommodate the larger opening on the pump and a larger piece of tubing? I'm guessing if I squeezed on the provided one I would be restrict the pump capability but I guess it would still be enough as that's what red sea supplies? I didn't plan on running the full pump capability anyway.

2) The Varios barb has two parts (stepped) but the small end just slides in to the big one and isn't a very tight fit. I'm guessing I would need to glue this on otherwise it would just blow off when the pump turns on? Posted a pic to show what I am referring to. Im new to this so is it a plumbing glue/tape or would superglue suffice?

Thanks and I am excited to get started!

IMG_0687.jpg

Here's the tank set-up. Looks great and cant wait to get her filled.

IMG_0686.jpg

OP
OP
S

SparklesMcgraw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ended up just sticking with the supplied hose and squeezing it on to the Varios 4 barb. Used PVC glue to join the barbs. Guess it can always change it out to a larger one later if I wanted to.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back