VarioS 6 Skimmer Pump Not Working After Cleaned

MoKan Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after over a year I finally got around to cleaning the Reef Octopus VarioS 6 on my skimmer since it'd been doing poorly as of late.

The impeller was cram packed with chaeto (no surprise since the refugium has been producing 3lbs or so of chaeto every few weeks) so I carefully removed the impeller shaft and impeller from the pump. I got all the chaeto out of the teeth of the impeller, cleaned all the brown slime off the magnet of and the inside of the pump, and reassembled just the way it came apart.

I put the front plate back on, put it back on the skimmer in the sump, plugged it in, turned it on, and absolutely nothing. So I took it apart again paying attention to make sure everything was right, reassembled it, plugged it back in, turned it on and still nothing. So I decided to see what happens without the front director plate on with the bare impeller. Still nothing. The motor attempts to move it, you can feel it, but nothing. So i attempt to spin it by hand while it's trying to start and same result. I've disassembled and reassembled it making sure I missed nothing. I've even went so far as to pull the pump off my external model skimmer (same impeller with the older white Diablo skimmer pump) and you can tell it's trying but going nowhere. I'm not sure what could've happened considering I didn't even unplug the skimmer. I literally turned it off. Same thing I've done a million times in the past.

Hopefully someone's had this issue before and fixed it without having to buy a new pump... This is a second hand skimmer/pump that's 2 or so years old so no warranty...

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back