Varios pumps and Apex

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received my new Varios 2 pump. I ordered the cable that connects it to my Apex. But somehow I think connecting it to my apex might be a PIA. I can see the benefit if your running a closed loop system but this will be a return pump and will be kept at a constant speed. Or, is the Apex useful with fail safe/redundancy? Does anyone have their Varios connected to their Apex?

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to save a spot on your power bar and use the VDM port to manipulate when the pump turns on and or off. From a flow stand point you can set the percentage and forget it, that is what I do with my COR20 pump.

Mike.P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering how they play with the Apex as well... I'm pretty set on getting a Varios 8 for my return, but I'm put off by it only having five speed settings; I'm hoping the Apex will provide finer control than that. I asked on BRS, and they said that it will. But when I emailed Coralvue, the response was that no, it'll still only have five speeds, and the Apex will just be for monitoring. Which answer is correct, I have no idea. lol

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering how they play with the Apex as well... I'm pretty set on getting a Varios 8 for my return, but I'm put off by it only having five speed settings; I'm hoping the Apex will provide finer control than that. I asked on BRS, and they said that it will. But when I emailed Coralvue, the response was that no, it'll still only have five speeds, and the Apex will just be for monitoring. Which answer is correct, I have no idea. lol
I didn’t think of finer control capabilities. That would be a plus. I’m gonna install the pump tonight. I’m not sure if I’ll get it connected to Apex. Most likely in a a day or two. I’ll let you know.

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to save a spot on your power bar and use the VDM port to manipulate when the pump turns on and or off. From a flow stand point you can set the percentage and forget it, that is what I do with my COR20 pump.
Question.... as this is a return pump, why would I want to turn it on and off? Are you referring to feed cycles?

U

User1

View Badges
Well there are a couple different reasons why you may want a refined control that does not involve a closed loop especially if you have redundancy built in. For example while not the Varios I have redundant returns using a Cor 15 and a Cor 20. I also have a Cor 15 powering my skimmer. Let us say the skimmer failed and for some reason I wanted it online. Although they do use the same connectors I have two to choose from. It makes sense to replace the 15 with the same one so use the 15 on the return. I travel a lot and I'm lazy so my returns are not labeled :) I could ask someone to replace it but since they look the same the easiest one would be used. If it was the Cor 20 I could adjust it :)

I also use a pair of 1" Sea Swirls instead of power heads. One has a longer plumbing line than the other so the Cor 20 goes here, the 15 on the shorter line. Now the fun part is that I created a virtual outlet called Tide. Using the Apex OSC function I set it to go on / off every 6 hours which would replicate high and low tides. On the return pumps I can use that virtual outlet and set the power / percent on each and alternate one side of the tank to generate more flow while the other is reduced. Every six hours they swap out and I get alternating flow throughout the day.

These are the two reasons why I like the control of the Apex. I'm working on another virtual outlet that will randomly increase both return pumps to 100% causing a bit of a sand storm but this still needs work :)

christopher wainright

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can confirm I have the varios 8 controlled by the apex and you can fine tune from 0-100% and you don't even have to plug it into the eb8. You will need the 0-10 volt cable that will use one of your variable speed ports though. I have found the best feature of the apex controlling it is that with advanced programming it will slow the pump down to where the pump stalls the water just as if you turned it off without it ever shutting down. It will also slowly ramp the flow up to set point when feed mode is cancelled

Mike.P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can confirm I have the varios 8 controlled by the apex and you can fine tune from 0-100% and you don't even have to plug it into the eb8. You will need the 0-10 volt cable that will use one of your variable speed ports though. I have found the best feature of the apex controlling it is that with advanced programming it will slow the pump down to where the pump stalls the water just as if you turned it off without it ever shutting down. It will also slowly ramp the flow up to set point when feed mode is cancelled

That is exactly the information that I was looking for, thank you sooooo much! ;Woot

I think I'll order it right now. The 0-10V is the Y-cable that they list, right? Is it pretty quiet, as compared to a Sicce? I've always had their pumps before, so that's what I'm used to.

christopher wainright

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is exactly the information that I was looking for, thank you sooooo much! ;Woot

I think I'll order it right now. The 0-10V is the Y-cable that they list, right? Is it pretty quiet, as compared to a Sicce? I've always had their pumps before, so that's what I'm used to.
You will need this cable https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/y-mo...Z5O8O2xIACXCpxl_M0zcljuNRogT4gNBoCsFIQAvD_BwE . And it is very quiet my skimmer is way louder. Even the sound of the water returning to the display is louder than the pump.

Mike.P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well there are a couple different reasons why you may want a refined control that does not involve a closed loop especially if you have redundancy built in. For example while not the Varios I have redundant returns using a Cor 15 and a Cor 20. I also have a Cor 15 powering my skimmer. Let us say the skimmer failed and for some reason I wanted it online. Although they do use the same connectors I have two to choose from. It makes sense to replace the 15 with the same one so use the 15 on the return. I travel a lot and I'm lazy so my returns are not labeled :) I could ask someone to replace it but since they look the same the easiest one would be used. If it was the Cor 20 I could adjust it :)

I also use a pair of 1" Sea Swirls instead of power heads. One has a longer plumbing line than the other so the Cor 20 goes here, the 15 on the shorter line. Now the fun part is that I created a virtual outlet called Tide. Using the Apex OSC function I set it to go on / off every 6 hours which would replicate high and low tides. On the return pumps I can use that virtual outlet and set the power / percent on each and alternate one side of the tank to generate more flow while the other is reduced. Every six hours they swap out and I get alternating flow throughout the day.

These are the two reasons why I like the control of the Apex. I'm working on another virtual outlet that will randomly increase both return pumps to 100% causing a bit of a sand storm but this still needs work :)
Makes total sense. Thanks!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back