vaseline safe on tank equipment.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Long story short.. I have a DYI roller mat as seen below.. the housing for the drive has some bolts ect above the water line.. but spray is causing a little rust.(its the roller on the right side with small power cord going into the small acrylic box.. that box is held in place to the roller drive inside the unit..

. I would like to cover them in some jelly to keep the rust in place. maybe just size of a pea .. even smaller..NOT a lot of rust mind you.. but would like to nip in bud. changing out the bolts that hold the drive is a project and might cause other issues... This seem like a quick easy fix.. or are there other products to use.. I could super glue but in the future that might be a big issues ... thanks
Roller and Sump.jpg

Last edited:

jnvd3b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Long story short.. I have a DYI roller mat as seen below.. the hosing for the drive has some bolts ect above the water line.. but spray is causing a little rust.. I would like to cover them in some jelly to keep the rust in place. NOT a lot of rust mind you.. but would like to nip in bud. changing out the bolts that hold the drive is a project and might cause other issues... This seem like a quick easy fix.. or are there other products to use.. I could super glue but in the future that might be a big issues ... thanks

i don't see it...

OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm.. interesting idea.. is that something one could do.... DYI I mean.. i will need to google it LOL or wait for some replys here...

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not use vaseline....it's a petroleum product. I'd first try a silicone based grease. Your local hardware store/HD should have a product called Plumber's Grease. Most of these are non-petroleum/silicone based. just check the label.

jnvd3b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm.. interesting idea.. is that something one could do.... DYI I mean.. i will need to google it LOL or wait for some replys here...

i think it is pretty diy friendly. They sell it as a spraycan (might be hard to do without moving the filter roll away from your fish room) as well as a can you can brush it on from

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not use vaseline....it's a petroleum product. I'd first try a silicone based grease. Your local hardware store/HD should have a product called Plumber's Grease. Most of these are non-petroleum/silicone based. just check the label.

Exactly this. Vaseline, or any other petroleum based product really has no place at all in or near a reef tank unless you are trying to reproduce the Exxon Valdez thing.

Silicone plumbers grease is 100% reef safe - I've been using it on all o-rings for 30 years without issue. If you want something that won't wipe away, just use a small dab of silicone caulk. It would be a bit more difficult to remove from the bolts should you need to, but it'd be way more permanent than anything that might wipe away.

jnvd3b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly this. Vaseline, or any other petroleum based product really has no place at all in or near a reef tank unless you are trying to reproduce the Exxon Valdez thing.

Silicone plumbers grease is 100% reef safe - I've been using it on all o-rings for 30 years without issue. If you want something that won't wipe away, just use a small dab of silicone caulk. It would be a bit more difficult to remove from the bolts should you need to, but it'd be way more permanent than anything that might wipe away.

I use molykote on my orings. Same thing or slightly dofferent than plumbers grease?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Has anyone actually had vaseline do any harm? Yes, it's an oil product, but it's inert. The inventor ate a spoonful of the stuff every day because he thought it would be good for him, and considering he lived to be 96, it doesn't seem to have done anything too bad. Heck, you can put vaseline on an open wound.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back