VECTRA L2 Maybe too big?

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea reefer 300- Im just turning on my skimmer rsk300 and torq 2.0 for the first time this week and realizing that a lot of water usage is going to the skimmer and reactor. Im running the skimmer on a medium low setting. Now little water lis left for the pump to send to the return. As a result I am getting bubbles in my DT.

Is there a trick I can do to keep using a my equipment and feed enough water to the return pump?
Where should the water line be for the return pump of this size and caliber?
#reefsquad

IMG_3547.JPG IMG_3545.JPG IMG_3544.JPG IMG_3548 2.JPG

Last edited:

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s doesn’t make sense. Sounds like either the drains cannot keep up, or water is being evaporated and not replaced

OP
OP
Keen4

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s doesn’t make sense. Sounds like either the drains cannot keep up, or water is being evaporated and not replaced
Agreed that it doesn't make sense. The water levels in the sump were fine until I turned on the skimmer and the reactor. Now theres not enough water flowing into the chamber with the return pump and the ATO bobble is low and releasing all of the water into the return pump chamber. Not sure what to do. I have the Vectra on super low setting right now and now I feel like I cant use it to its full potential because its going to suck up too much water into the DT

and fyi I filled up the ATO reserve to full level yesterday- it is almost empty now.

OP
OP
Keen4

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to add more saltwater to your system to make up the volume that is drawn in the skimmer and reactor bodies when they’re turned on on.
Great- Now that makes better sense with solution I appreciate it! Ill go add water now and post my results.

OP
OP
Keen4

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to add more saltwater to your system/sump to make up the volume that is now drawn into the skimmer and reactor bodies when they’re turned on on.
Wait. Won’t that increase the salinity in my whole system? I hope you’re able to answer this before I go and mix the water in a few minutes. LOL

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it wont increase salinity. As long as your tanks salinity is still where you want it. Only when you constantly top off the tank with salt water during evap the salinity will start to rise.
Youll be good to fill your sump to full with more saltwater and continue to top off with ur freshwater in the ATO as normal.
Youll also want to establish this "full" mark with some sort of indicator and set your ato sensor to refill to this level so your salinity stays consistant and your ato knows where to refill to.

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait. Won’t that increase the salinity in my whole system? I hope you’re able to answer this before I go and mix the water in a few minutes. LOL
It won’t raise your salinity. Salinity only rises when water evaporates and you do not replenish it with rodi water

OP
OP
Keen4

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it wont increase salinity. As long as your tanks salinity is still where you want it. Only when you constantly top off the tank with salt water during evap the salinity will start to rise.
Youll be good to fill your sump to full with more saltwater and continue to top off with ur freshwater in the ATO as normal.
Youll also want to establish this "full" mark with some sort of indicator and set your ato sensor to refill to this level so your salinity stays consistant and your ato knows where to refill to.
Thank you for this useful and valuable info. What Im learning right now is how much to unscrew the valve for the ato. (I read someone did 1-2 drips per 5 seconds) Im not sure how to check and verify the drip. Its the basic built in one on the Red Sea reefer 300 sump. Not a fan of this- have to se it until I can get my Osmilator.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As already said you just need to add more saltwater to the system to make up the water volume and then set your ATO so it maintains the level taking into account evaporation

OP
OP
Keen4

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As already said you just need to add more saltwater to the system to make up the water volume and then set your ATO so it maintains the level taking into account evaporation
Sweet- yes I’m mixing salt right now - are you at all familiar with the Basic ato on the Red Sea reefers? I’m not sure how to adjust it other than the screw valve. I’m wondering how I can check the drip.

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet- yes I’m mixing salt right now - are you at all familiar with the Basic ato on the Red Sea reefers? I’m not sure how to adjust it other than the screw valve. I’m wondering how I can check the drip.
Red Sea say about the drip, and it confused me as well, I think on the reefers it’s just a float valve like on my S650

Ive never bothered with their drip method, mines set that when the float drops, water trickles out and that’s it.

OP
OP
Keen4

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea say about the drip, and it confused me as well, I think on the reefers it’s just a float valve like on my S650

Ive never bothered with their drip method, mines set that when the float drops, water trickles out and that’s it.
Yes it’s a float valve and I turned it on with the little knob by the nipple where the hose connects from the rodi reservoir. Not sure how loose that knob should be opened to though or how to test it.

OP
OP
Keen4

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water was added! Leveled at a 1.026- it was 1.027 8 hours ago. I’m guessing because of all of the rodi water that dropped out of my reservoir; dropped the salinity all day long.

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it’s a float valve and I turned it on with the little knob by the nipple where the hose connects from the rodi reservoir. Not sure how loose that knob should be opened to though or how to test it.
Just turn/open it until when you press the float down water trickles out of it. That's how you can test it.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back