Vegetable filters & Triton Method

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A
I so much follow the process, necessity is the mother of invention. After reading what you do with Ulva to reduce leakage into tank by transferring it to a holding container, reminds me that one man’s garbage is another man’s treasure. @Jomama grows NPS corals in Southern California. One of his phytoplankton formulas for Dendronephthya uses Chaeto purée that he calls joma juice.

Yes, I gave Jomama some advice for increasing the potency of his juice with exudate on that other thread.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All i can add to this thread is i used to rinse my chaeto under tap water in an attempt to clean out detrtitus, and the next day the tank would bloom with bacteria. I suppose its because the water bursted some cells inside and that made bacteria grow. Havent noticed any ill effect to the tank.

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will depend somewhat on the type of algae used & how much DOC any of them exude under normal circumstances. Then any increase in exuded organics above normal will depend on what stress factors each method imparts on the algae.

I don’t believe the exudates from the common, fast metabolising green algae species such as Ulva or Chaeto are detrimental to aquarium inhabitants at all in any way. More probably they are “useful” & probably beneficial. The exudate is easily removed by skimming or GAS & water changes in any case if that is what one desires. And the algae are kept isolated from the display so coral/algae physical contact is out of the question also.

Let’s talk more about which ones produce more leakage. It was my belief that soft fleshy algae gave off the most. Any thoughts on that?

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s talk more about which ones produce more leakage. It was my belief that soft fleshy algae gave off the most. Any thoughts on that?
From memory, the fleshy slow growing algaes typically exude 40 - 50 percent of their fixed carbon, more with some others.

The terminology for leakage is best described as the release of photosynthate as dissolved organic carbon - exudates

Last edited:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prepare Jomama juice with around 50 grammes of chaeto - grained heavily for 10 minutes with a mixer - filter the solution and dilute to around 2 litre. Dose 100 ml every night. Done that for nearly 2 months now. My LPS react very well - clams too. The cryptic zone grows a lot.

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From memory, the fleshy slow growing algaes typically exude 40 - 50 percent of their fixed carbon, more with some others.

The terminology for leakage is best described as the release of photosynthate as dissolved organic carbon - exudates

With respect to a 24 hour photoperiod, would you expect continued steady growth or perhaps an increase in rate of exudates. Also, from your experiences,why does a 24 hour photoperiod prevent Caulerpa from “going sexual”. I have always wondered why?

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I worked 28 days on and 28 days off, my system was left unattended for that period of time. The only automation was a manual float valve to make up for evaporationn.. System entailed 150G display with a 1200G propagation system in garage. Propagation system consisted of four 55G tanks and two grow out troughs that were 4’ by 8’. The heart of the system was a 55G tumble culture of Red Ogo with an over abundance of pods. Drain from this tank feed grow out tanks. When I was away, these tanks decreased in pod density with no added food and when I was home, I feed to excess to increase population density. I thought that the reason for my coral growout success was due to zooplankton. However, I suspect that DOC exudates was the most likely the main contributor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I worked 28 days on and 28 days off, my system was left unattended for that period of time. The only automation for a manual float valve to make up for evaporationn.. System entailed 150G display with a 1200G propagation system in garage. Propagation system consisted of four 55G tanks and two grow out troughs that were 4’ by 8’. The heart of the system was a 55G tumble culture of Red Ogo with an over abundance of pods. Drain from this tank feed grow out tanks. When I was away, these tanks decreased in pod density with no added food and when I was home, I feed to excess to increase population density. I thought that the reason for my coral growout success was due to zooplankton. However, I suspect that DOC exudates was the most likely the main contributor.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prepare Jomama juice with around 50 grammes of chaeto - grained heavily for 10 minutes with a mixer - filter the solution and dilute to around 2 litre. Dose 100 ml every night. Done that for nearly 2 months now. My LPS react very well - clams too. The cryptic zone grows a lot.

Sincerely Lasse
Is that dry weight or wet, on 50 grams? Being hard

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sincerely Lasse

How long dose Jomama juice last before you make more? I assume you refrigerate juice.
I will couple this with mussel juice, at the same time I feed fish.

@Paul B even though I can’t collect clams everyday, I can buy mussels.

Last edited:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jomama juice is simply chaeto what have been heavily mixed with an hand hold electric high speed mixer and been filtrated by a coffee filter.
See here

How long dose Jomama juice last before you make more? I assume you refrigerate juice.
I will couple this with mussel juice, at the same time I feed fish.

@Paul B even though I can’t collect clams everyday, I can buy mussels.

I blend around 2 litres - 1 litre goes to my dispenser in the sump cabinet. It will be there for around 8 days. I dose with a GHL doser 2.1 and their magnetic stirrer. stirr 60 seconds before dosing. Dosing 5 ml every half an hour during night period (12 hours). I was a little concerned over bacteria growth during this 8 days - but what the heck - bacteria is good food for filtrering organism too :) The second litre is in the refrigerator for 7 days

From what I've heard, very scientific process of releasing beneficial periodic table elements in a artificial ocean environment.
High tech stuff

You nail it :) :) :)

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I step back and look at the big picture, I see nutrient recycling with exudates from macro feeding the coral and I see nutrient export with removal of excess macro. Instead of using Chaetomorphy as nutrient export, I would use Ulva as both nutrient export and nutrient recycling because fish & pods all eat Ulva.

Given sufficient nitrogen and light, ulva will outgrow Chaeto by a margin of 2:1 as it did in outside growout tanks under the same Texas sun.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.8%
Back