Velvet (Amyloodinium ocellatum)

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think so think you can test on a cheap fish but your should use a black Molly that's acclimated to salt for the test.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very likely carriers. Fish can achieve a temporary immunity / resistance to some of the diseases we see, but still host them at sub-clinical levels. New fish, not having the same resistance, can be wiped out on introduction to your tank. The "molly test" mentioned above would tell the tale - being freshwater fish, mollies should not have developed any resistance to marine disease.

~Bruce

rewlee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello. starting my velvet battle... have a few questions.
on qt, could i use a sponge in my DT. my DT tank has velvet, so would it be a bad idea to use? i know it klls the free swimmers but what about the ones, i guess not free swimming and possibly in the filter.

2nd, questions, when using antibiotics (Kanaplex) when and where do i use it? during the copper treatment?
also, got cupramine, but have an AIP copper test kit... do those work together or do i need a seachem test since its a different type of copper treatment, i guess.

and just to get this right, FW dip, back to display, Chem bath, to hospital tank.

Arvind Arya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a second dose of velvet and lost all but 2 fish. They are in QT with copper. Prior to losing them, I had suspected velvet might be at play again when I lost my asfur angelfish. Before I realized it had returned, I was dosing hydrogen peroxide into the tank. I think doing this, I was keeping the velvet at bay. I ran out of h2o2 and that is when I noticed the fish loss.
Now that I am letting the tank run fallow again.... will adding more h202 destroy existing velvet in the tank- and speed up the fallow process? Im not into getting black mollys to test, but just wanted to get thoughts about this speeding up the fallow period

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a second dose of velvet and lost all but 2 fish. They are in QT with copper. Prior to losing them, I had suspected velvet might be at play again when I lost my asfur angelfish. Before I realized it had returned, I was dosing hydrogen peroxide into the tank. I think doing this, I was keeping the velvet at bay. I ran out of h2o2 and that is when I noticed the fish loss.
Now that I am letting the tank run fallow again.... will adding more h202 destroy existing velvet in the tank- and speed up the fallow process? Im not into getting black mollys to test, but just wanted to get thoughts about this speeding up the fallow period

Let the tank run fallow for at least 6 weeks.

If you want to do a full fallow it's 76 days to clear ich, just in case you had a side of ich.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Sorry to hear about all of you guys dealing with the fish losses! I was following along on this thread, a lot of great info......do you guys know how velvet was introduced into your tank again?

rewlee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your questions?
i got quick with my pressing enter lol.
on qt, could i use a sponge in my DT. my DT tank has velvet, so would it be a bad idea to use? i know it klls the free swimmers but what about the ones, i guess not free swimming and possibly in the filter.

2nd, questions, when using antibiotics (Kanaplex) when and where do i use it? during the copper treatment?
also, got cupramine, but have an AIP copper test kit... do those work together or do i need a seachem test since its a different type of copper treatment, i guess.

and just to get this right, FW dip, back to display, Chem bath, to hospital tank.

Arvind Arya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Sorry to hear about all of you guys dealing with the fish losses! I was following along on this thread, a lot of great info......do you guys know how velvet was introduced into your tank again?
i was stupid and bought a fish with qting it. Clown tang. It died and soon after the other fish started dying. I hate my LFS- never buying fish from them. They have nice coral but even that can carry velvet. I am not sure how they keep their fish alive in the tanks... I always see some that are dead= Well lesson learned!

i had cleared a first bout going fallow but I did it to myself again... no one to blame but me.
anyhow im going to start a 125 gallon- clean of any parasites. I need to let my dt run fallow before I can transfer any coral to the new tank from the old infested DT

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got quick with my pressing enter lol.

I highly recommend the Hanna checker for copper testing. If you can't swing it, then yes you need the seachem or salifert copper test kit for cupramine.

The API kit is for chelated copper.

You can move a sponge from DT to QT. Doesn't matter. Fish are already infected.

You can use Kanaplex during or after copper. If you don't see active bacterial infections then I would wait till post copper if necessary.

Process:
From DT to 5 min FW dip.
From Dip to RRR bath.
From bath to QT.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was stupid and bought a fish with qting it. Clown tang. It died and soon after the other fish started dying. I hate my LFS- never buying fish from them. They have nice coral but even that can carry velvet. I am not sure how they keep their fish alive in the tanks... I always see some that are dead= Well lesson learned!

i had cleared a first bout going fallow but I did it to myself again... no one to blame but me.
anyhow im going to start a 125 gallon- clean of any parasites. I need to let my dt run fallow before I can transfer any coral to the new tank from the old infested DT

This^^^ is unfortunately more common than not.

They house the fish in sub-therapeutic copper (enough to keep the fish looking good, but still afflicted with the parasites). Then you bring home and if not QTd or treated with copper BAM.

rewlee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly recommend the Hanna checker for copper testing. If you can't swing it, then yes you need the seachem or salifert copper test kit.

You can move a sponge from DT to QT. Doesn't matter. Fish are already infected.

You can use Kanaplex during or after copper. If you don't see active bacterial infections then I would wait till post copper if necessary.

Process:
From DT to 5 min FW dip.
From Dip to RRR bath.
From bath to QT.
awesome thanks. man, im gonna have to do some searching to find a test kit then. 0-3 searching for a seachem test kit. everyone had api. might have to overnight one.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh wow! That is rough for sure! Velvet is so scary how it can wipe a tank out in no time! Yea that is scary when you think about coral carrying something that can wipe out your whole tank!

rewlee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one last thing. would it be better while in qt to have temp lower and salinity lower? or higher in either case? or just keep on point for less stress?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome thanks. man, im gonna have to do some searching to find a test kit then. 0-3 searching for a seachem test kit. everyone had api. might have to overnight one.
Cupramine tends to test very accurately with dosing. So if you dose precisely with syringe to get copper started, you should be ok. If it takes a day or two to get the kit.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp 76 degrees. The cooler the better. Allows for higher oxygenation at lower temps.

This is very important. Especially since parasites basically sufficate the fish. You want to have powerhead aiming upward breaking the surface tension as well.

Arvind Arya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my third kit coming today. For some reason I keep losing the testing vessel- the white 6 pack thingy where you put the water in. I think my kids play with them and lose them. Ive got to lock this test kit up!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back