Velvet (Amyloodinium ocellatum)

Arvind Arya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can anyone answer my question about dosing the infected DT with H2o2? Will this speed up the fallow period by killing the free swimming dinospores? Reduce the reproduction numbers= speed up ridding the tank of the velvet?

rewlee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp 76 degrees. The cooler the better. Allows for higher oxygenation at lower temps.

This is very important. Especially since parasites basically sufficate the fish. You want to have powerhead aiming upward breaking the surface tension as well.
i have an airstone and hob filter for seeding, and movement. should i also put a powerhead on it?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have an airstone and hob filter for seeding, and movement. should i also put a powerhead on it?
For sure! Add a powerhead. More is better.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can anyone answer my question about dosing the infected DT with H2o2? Will this speed up the fallow period by killing the free swimming dinospores? Reduce the reproduction numbers= speed up ridding the tank of the velvet?

It won't make a difference. You still need to wait the full 6 weeks fishless. The free swimmers are the final stage of the parasite cycle. So you need to make sure all viable tomonts have expired and are no longer releasing dinospores (free swimmers).

Arvind Arya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won't make a difference. You still need to wait the full 6 weeks fishless. The free swimmers are the final stage of the parasite cycle. So you need to make sure all viable tomonts have expired and are no longer releasing dinospores (free swimmers).
That makes sense. but wouldnt killing dinospores and reducing their numbers also reduce the overall reproduction capabilities?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense. but wouldnt killing dinospores and reducing their numbers also reduce the overall reproduction capabilities?
That's the entire point of fallow. As soon as you remove the fish from the equation the dinospores no longer have a fish to host and start reproduction. They live for +/-16 days and that's it without a host.

Arvind Arya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the entire point of fallow. As soon as you remove the fish from the equation the dinospores no longer have a fish to host and start reproduction. They live for +/-16 days and that's it without a host.
Im pretty sure I have velvet again. Is it 6 week fallow or 7

Averhoeven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting in a Mandarin in a few days. My plan is to TTM with metro/prazi him, but I was wondering if there is anything else I need to do to ensure he also doesn't drag velvet into the system? I can't use copper on him unless I get lucky and get sent one (only LFS is a Petco that, while nicely cared for, clearly has velvet in their system) that actually eats frozen since the copper will kill the pods and brine I ordered for him. Is it that since the life-cycle is potentially so short it can drop off and back on the fish in the 48-72h window that negates TTM as an effective method for velvet? Am I essentially using that time as an observational period against velvet with the expectation that if he has it, it will show up during the TTM period? I would think that using the minimum times of 12 hrs on fish and 48hrs as a tomont, as long as you were transferring in 48-60h you would be effective.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting in a Mandarin in a few days. My plan is to TTM with metro/prazi him, but I was wondering if there is anything else I need to do to ensure he also doesn't drag velvet into the system? I can't use copper on him unless I get lucky and get sent one (only LFS is a Petco that, while nicely cared for, clearly has velvet in their system) that actually eats frozen since the copper will kill the pods and brine I ordered for him. Is it that since the life-cycle is potentially so short it can drop off and back on the fish in the 48-72h window that negates TTM as an effective method for velvet? Am I essentially using that time as an observational period against velvet with the expectation that if he has it, it will show up during the TTM period? I would think that using the minimum times of 12 hrs on fish and 48hrs as a tomont, as long as you were transferring in 48-60h you would be effective.
Velvet cycles fast. TTM will not erradicate velvet. At least not using 72hr transfers.

I would treat the fish with CP. Especially so if you know the system it's coming from is velvet ridden.

Averhoeven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet cycles fast. TTM will not erradicate velvet. At least not using 72hr transfers.

I would treat the fish with CP. Especially so if you know the system it's coming from is velvet ridden.
I was stating that as the reason I'm not buying the fish locally where I could see if it is eating frozen or not.
The article linked at the beginning stated between 12h and 4d on fish and a minimum of 48h encysted. That's why I was thinking that you could potentially "outrun" it by doing 48h-60h transfers. I'm just a little more cautious with it on this one in particular because of the potential feeding restrictions and the mandarin protective slime coat bit potentially keeping the fish infectious, but asymptomatic. I can look into CP from vets around here, but I'll be honest, I'm not gonna hold much hope.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was stating that as the reason I'm not buying the fish locally where I could see if it is eating frozen or not.
The article linked at the beginning stated between 12h and 4d on fish and a minimum of 48h encysted. That's why I was thinking that you could potentially "outrun" it by doing 48h-60h transfers. I'm just a little more cautious with it on this one in particular because of the potential feeding restrictions and the mandarin protective slime coat bit potentially keeping the fish infectious, but asymptomatic. I can look into CP from vets around here, but I'll be honest, I'm not gonna hold much hope.
Do you plan to add any other fish? My only suggestion would be if not performing TTM on any other fish with this fish you could do a black Molly test at the end of TTM to confirm there are no ich/velvet present. The mucus layer as you mentioned is so thick that you'd likely have no way of knowing if it were a successful TTM if it was the lone fish due to the fact it could be an asymptomatic carrier.

Averhoeven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you plan to add any other fish? My only suggestion would be if not performing TTM on any other fish with this fish you could do a black Molly test at the end of TTM to confirm there are no ich/velvet present. The mucus layer as you mentioned is so thick that you'd likely have no way of knowing if it were a successful TTM if it was the lone fish due to the fact it could be an asymptomatic carrier.
I have a few fish coming in, but not a big enough system at the moment to TTM them all in one tank so I was going to run dueling systems (I've got 2x 20Ls and 2x10 for it). I was wondering that exact thing. I think I'm going to run the mandarin with the copperband because of their similar feeding issues in QT. So I assume that over the course of TTM, if the mandarin has an issue, the copperband will too, correct?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to do TTM to clear velvet with a minimum of 5 transfers that are 48 hours apart. 7 would be idea.

Arvind Arya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Marine Velvet. its the worst thing ever
dealing with my second go around.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Marine Velvet. its the worst thing ever
dealing with my second go around.
Sorry to hear that.

What has caused introduction for a second time?

Arvind Arya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am guilty of not QTing a fish that I had mercy on that I felt I could make better from my LFS. The clown tang did not eat, and died a few days later- and then I began losing fish left and right. saved my 2 triggerfish- tangs, and angels all perished

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am guilty of not QTing a fish that I had mercy on that I felt I could make better from my LFS. The clown tang did not eat, and died a few days later- and then I began losing fish left and right. saved my 2 triggerfish- tangs, and angels all perished
I see. Today QT is needed more than ever. Especially with fish like acanthurus tangs. They usually don't stand a chance even in an ich management tank. Let alone velvet.

Arvind Arya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its really frustrating.
Hot Rocks
Im going to be cycling a 125 next week. In the meantime my 90 is running fallow with my corals. I got some Tonga Branch recently that is dry. I want to add to my 90 gallon to get the rock seeded while the 125 is getting set up and cycled. I plan to put the dry tonga rock in the 90 gallon until the fallow period is over. am i running any risks here? I dont think I am but want to make sure

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 160 61.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.5%
Back