velvet damsel & coral beauty

phixman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at petco last night, and they had just gotten a velvet damsel and a coral beauty. Both caught my eye because they are very beautiful fish, I decided to do some research and noticed there were a lot of horror stories from both. The damsel seemed to bully fish to death and eat zoas while the coral beauty was prone to decease and could have an appetite for coral. Does anyone have any experience with either fish?

Tank : red sea 350- 73 gallon display with 20 sump
Corals : mixed reef
Fish: x2 naked clowns, x1 tomini, x1 yellow tang, x1 black yellow tailed damsel, x1 six line wrasse , was thinking of adding 2 fairy wrasses and a foxface

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Angels can be a hit or miss with corals. They tend to nip at corals. If you have a ton of coral growth it would be hard to notice. Damsels again can be a hit or a miss. I had a velvet damsel in the past; Also got it at petco for like ten bucks I think. Anyways it left everything alone in my 125. However I have done damsels in smaller tanks and they fight a lot

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd be concerned about mixing the damsels.

Saltfishonly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be concerned about mixing the damsels.

Well I had two 3 stripes damnsels and they was bullies to my clown fish they bullied the little guy to death..then few days later one of my damsels died something bit or cut his throat a pretty good chunk was missing didn’t know if it was the coral beauty or not

Since then I still have the one damsel and I know it’s hard to believe it he is very close to my bonded pair clownfish and they accept him..odd right? When new comers come in the tank he does show anger but after a day or two he gets over it......it’s funny when they are mad they look like angry birds haha

But it’s rare you have to be careful only reason I left him in my tank cause we can’t catch him and my clowns accepted him as he did the same when he gets older it will get worst.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't want a velvet damsel. The only damsels that have a place in our community tanks are clowns and damsels in the genus Chrysiptera.

Your sixline wrasse will probably not tolerate additional wrasses.

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Fiji blue devil damsel, which is reportedly one of the worst behaved, and the only fish he bothers is my Randall's goby, which easily evades him and hides in the rocks most of the day. Otherwise he's fine, although my 6 line chases him sometimes. But he was the last fish I added to my tank, so that my be a factor.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back