Velvet outbreak with puffer and eel

sunnyraven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank broke out with marine velvet a few days ago. The fish are in a 90G mixed reef and we’re getting ready to be transferred to a 220 (had bought two new fish for new tank, when in busted a seal and now all fish crammed in 90 while I had 220 repaired). 220 over 1/2 full now. My plan is to use 220 as a qt bc it’s empty, and I’m not going to fill all the way. I was going to use cupramine, but need to use coppersafe so I can use prime to battle ammonia since daily wc on 220 isn’t possible. Can puffer and eel tolerate treatment? Am I missing something? Puffer and eel show no symptoms of illness. Have lost 2 fish already. 3 other fish show signs, but still eating. TIA!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So my tank broke out with marine velvet a few days ago. The fish are in a 90G mixed reef and we’re getting ready to be transferred to a 220 (had bought two new fish for new tank, when in busted a seal and now all fish crammed in 90 while I had 220 repaired). 220 over 1/2 full now. My plan is to use 220 as a qt bc it’s empty, and I’m not going to fill all the way. I was going to use cupramine, but need to use coppersafe so I can use prime to battle ammonia since daily wc on 220 isn’t possible. Can puffer and eel tolerate treatment? Am I missing something? Puffer and eel show no symptoms of illness. Have lost 2 fish already. 3 other fish show signs, but still eating. TIA!
Cupramine will not work well with the eel. Coppersafe yes with puffer and still may have impact on eel but can be performed at 2.0 versus 2.5ppm
If its velvet, I'd recommend Acriflavine which is contained in Ruby Rally Reef and much safer while will take longer to act.
Increase oxygen during treatment and for the sake of the ell, assure good water quality mainly nitrate and ammonia levels monitored by a reliable test kit

OP
OP
S

sunnyraven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cupramine will not work well with the eel. Coppersafe yes with puffer and still may have impact on eel but can be performed at 2.0 versus 2.5ppm
If its velvet, I'd recommend Acriflavine which is contained in Ruby Rally Reef and much safer while will take longer to act.
Increase oxygen during treatment and for the sake of the ell, assure good water quality mainly nitrate and ammonia levels monitored by a reliable test kit
Ty very much!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a tough situation.

A couple things to think about:
You might consider QTing the eel separately, so you can use full strength Copper Power immediately on the others.
I'm not convinced Prime actually does anything for ammonia, as far as making it safe.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I am just seeing this now. Use CP (Chloroquine Phosphate) for both. I have successfully treated puffers and eels with CP. Scaleless fish do not tolerate copper (honestly, copper is poison and no fish likes it)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%
Back