OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still don't think most venders photoshop but they certainly know how to use a camera and the perfect lighting

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And that's exactly it. You and I can take pictures of the same thing at the same time. You might know a little about cameras and I might know a little more, so my picture may turn out better, without touching it up in the slightest.

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Compare this to any flame wrasses for sale on the forum....it's seems to even look worse here then in real life.
Screenshot_2016-03-18-08-37-12.png

id be super disappointed if the flame wrasse i just ordered, came in looking like that!!

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i totally understand what youre saying tho, and its been an issue with online coral purchases from the start. As stated, some vendors are worse than others. Ive been pretty satisfied over the years with the vendors I have dealt with, but ive made it a point to avoid a couple.

bummer bout your hammer, either not the same piece or a very altered pic. I would be a bit disappointed as well, hope they take care of ya!

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i totally understand what youre saying tho, and its been an issue with online coral purchases from the start. As stated, some vendors are worse than others. Ive been pretty satisfied over the years with the vendors I have dealt with, but ive made it a point to avoid a couple.

bummer bout your hammer, either not the same piece or a very altered pic. I would be a bit disappointed as well, hope they take care of ya!

Thanks.... Awesome flame I have one too and they are beautiful. It's kind of why I like DD as my corals generally look better in person then in the pic. So if it looks good in the pic you know it will look great. This is only DD, Liveaquaria I can't say the same about never had success with them

Chac317

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally haven't had any troubles with vendors but I only order from a few. My big issue recently was a green birdsnest colony I bought from a local club member. I got it for cheap so I chose to keep the peace but this is what I was working with after one day. Obviously the pic I saw was a healthier version.

image.jpg

creas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While most places probably enhance to some degree don't underestimate how computer monitor colors can vary, even within the same brand. For example, I can take a tank pic with my DSLR and adjust the white balance and colors so that it looks exactly like it does in my tank. Then if I try to open that pic on another computer, like at work, it will look different. FWIW.

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's another recent one from a different vender. Maybe its getting too much or too little light, maybe it takes some time to color up or maybe it just looks better with certain camera settings.....
Screenshot_2016-03-18-13-40-02.png
IMG_3603.JPG
IMG_3604-1.JPG

larangcon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's another recent one from a different vender. Maybe its getting too much or too little light, maybe it takes some time to color up or maybe it just looks better with certain camera settings.....
Screenshot_2016-03-18-13-40-02.png
IMG_3603.JPG
IMG_3604-1.JPG
[/QUOTE

Now, that's bad. This one if I were you. I would demand my money back.

jhatfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have an answer for this but here are a couple thoughts:

It's the easiest thing in the world to boost saturation/vibrance on an image (or 100 images for that matter) so I have no doubt that images from even the most reputable vendors are enhanced in some way. I can't imagine that any vendor is going to post unaltered images directly from their camera. I'm betting though that each seller has a different standard of what constitutes a misleading representation of the product which makes purchasing corals/fish even more difficult than it already is.

When shooting product in the studio we use a macbeth color checker which we use as a reference later in Photoshop/Lightroom to make sure the color in the photo is the same as (or as close as possible) to the product. Basically it's a piece of cardboard with color swatches of known standardized colors including white and grey. It would be cool if there was a small waterproof version that could be included in the same lighting as the frag.

While not an ideal solution I do like how vendors like Tidal Gardens shows the coral under different lighting conditions. Again, adds a bit of credibility in my opinion.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
20160124_213547_HDR.jpg
Heres a good example of maybe what they showed you, i have 2 different photos of the same torch frag. One with an LG cellphone, one with a galaxy st.....
LG-

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Screenshot_2016-03-18-18-25-46.png
And S5-- this is exactly what it looks like. Now if someone would want to buy this torch only seen in the first picture- i would NEVER sell it as a gold torch and explain its green as the photo came out that way. Witch is what they shouldve done if they "never" photoshopped it

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Requested a refund on the shroom. Let's see what happens.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back