Vent in garage?

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on a slow roll setting up a frag tank in my garage and someone recently pointed at a duct that I have running from the furnace along the garage wall and suggested I tee off a vent that's pointed into the garage to help with temp control.

My garage is finished (drywall on all walls and ceiling, insulated garage door panels.

Anybody do this? I'm in a moderate coastal climate so at the peak of summer and winter a couple of degrees up or down via heaters/fans is beneficial.

Adding a vent seems like a $40 project I could do on a weekend with my kids.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you confirmed it is not the return ductwork it should be fine as long as you put a damper on it and are able to shut off that vent when you want.

danzig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Im an hvac tech, expect the room wherever that duct goes to suffer airflow losses. If its mild like you say dont worry about it. I could help more with pictures. As stated above make sure its supply air and not return.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am reading "vent" and thinking you were burning natural gas and thinking of using cumbustion vent air (high in CO2) to heat the garage! Big no if that was the case. If you are speaking of using forced heater air, adding a registrar into the garage would probably cost a lot more, and be more difficult to control than simply adding a heater with a controller directly into the tank. I have a garage tank and I have a chiller and a heater on it that keep the tank stable. The garage temp changes alot each day in winter and summer.

The skimmer impacts water temp and evaporation year round as well. Not sure how air-weather-tight your garage is, but mine has vents and leaks a lot of air at the door. I have a water heater closet in the garage that runs off natural gas.

HTH.
:)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back