Ventilation recommendations for 180g with 4x4 fish closet

  • Thread starter Thread starter foshizzle
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

foshizzle

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 19, 2017
Messages
60
Reaction score
21
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rough-in is finished on my new house and my contractor needs plans to ventilate the 4' x 4' fish closet under the stairs behind my 180g. My skimmer, sump and frag tank will be housed in this space so temp and humidity regulation will be important.

The crawlspace is sealed so I need an exhaust fan vented to the outside. The garage is only a few feet away vs 25ft to the nearest outside wall. Should I seal the closet and pull air from outside/garage? OR just pull air from the interior of the house through the closet doors?

How many CFM do I need to move to control humidity and temperature? What type exhaust fan on humidistat/thermostat system would work?

Thanks!
 
What I would do is run an A/C-Heater vent to the room. This will help keep your room some what in line with your house temp and humidity. Next your need to install a ventilation fan that is rated for continuous duty. Having the option to open the door is also nice and can be used with a portable fan.
 
I'm right on the NC/SC border Charlotte, NC. Hot humid summers but not as bad as Mississippi!
 
I'm right on the NC/SC border Charlotte, NC. Hot humid summers but not as bad as Mississippi!

Well, I'm just getting mine up and running but I've had water at temperature in my tank with the top open and sump open for a few days now I would say. I suspect it things may vary through the seasons, etc. but I wanted to very much consider what I would do if my tank made my house feel humid or effect the humidity. I'm happy to say (so far) I've literally not had any change in humidity in my house. I bought little calibrate-able hygrometers to place around the house. The number has literally not been effected as far as I can perceive. By chance, it's been drier lately. All this to say, it really didn't make the swamp feeling I feared.

That said, I would personally either tie in a HVAC register if you really want to be cautious, otherwise make your life simple and just generally vent the room to the house via some small fans or something.

I was and am literally prepared to install a whole house dehumidifier if needed. At this point, I would be surprised if I need to.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 15 30.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 17 34.0%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new