Vermetid in Marine Pure from LFS

NotSoCivil_Engineer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... I just noticed this marine pure block covered in vermetid snails. See photo below. I pulled it out of my sump and plan on drying it out to kill them all. Thank god I have another block. Only 2 new juvi clowns and a minor CUC in my tank - So hopefully the bioload is still manageable.

This block I bought from a LFS to seed my tank 3 months ago. The other block was new and put in at the same time. I had one coral frag that had a vermetid in it, but I super glued him thoroughly before putting him in the tank. That frag came from the same LFS.

Should I be doing more damage control? I feel like this happened overnight but I am sure it didn't. I can't believe I didn't notice them as I check my sump every two days.

How should I prep for these snails elsewhere? Are their eggs in the water column at this point? If my other marinepure block gets loaded I may be in a tough spot.

Thanks for your thoughts!

20190124_193132.jpg

SnookNRedZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to me to be feather dusters. Those are actually really beneficial. Vermited snails are usually tiny and they leave a stringy “tail” in the water column that’s pretty visible. I honestly don’t visibly see any on there. Not to say there isn’t though, cuz they do find any surface to grow on, I have them, and I don’t worry too much about them. If ones near a coral. I’ll take some pliers or something similar and just crush it and siphon it out. I think you’re being over cautious. Which isn’t bad, we all are at some point.

OP
OP
NotSoCivil_Engineer

NotSoCivil_Engineer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok - I am definitely being overcautious as a new tank owner. But I'll live forever with that title!!! Haha

I crushed a few and they are red wormy inside. My girlfriend is googling photos - and agrees they are feather dusters. She is saying they are too big in comparison to be vermerid.

Feather duster worms are ok? This seems like a lot to have in my sump. (Still makes me nervous! Haha)

Livinlocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feather duster’s are completely fine, and like somebody else said, it’s a good sign of a healthy system. I would put the block back in.

George Makris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... I just noticed this marine pure block covered in vermetid snails. See photo below. I pulled it out of my sump and plan on drying it out to kill them all. Thank god I have another block. Only 2 new juvi clowns and a minor CUC in my tank - So hopefully the bioload is still manageable.

This block I bought from a LFS to seed my tank 3 months ago. The other block was new and put in at the same time. I had one coral frag that had a vermetid in it, but I super glued him thoroughly before putting him in the tank. That frag came from the same LFS.

Should I be doing more damage control? I feel like this happened overnight but I am sure it didn't. I can't believe I didn't notice them as I check my sump every two days.

How should I prep for these snails elsewhere? Are their eggs in the water column at this point? If my other marinepure block gets loaded I may be in a tough spot.

Thanks for your thoughts!

20190124_193132.jpg
Has this work to reduce your nitrates level?

OP
OP
NotSoCivil_Engineer

NotSoCivil_Engineer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@George Makris - i started with project reef rock 2.0 that has no pores, 80 lbs of live sand, and a seeded block. After initial cycle my nitrates have been averaging about 2-3ppm consistently. Also running a fuge with macro algae and protein skimmer. I have carbon/gfo hooked up but don't run it often.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back